Lillibridge Named USHL Defenseman of the Week
GENEVA, ILLINOIS - The United States Hockey League ("USHL") announced Monday that Chicago Steel alternate captain Graham Lillibridge has been named USHL Defenseman of the Week for the period ending Jan. 21, 2018 (Week 16). This marks the second weekly honor this season for the veteran defenseman and Geneva native, who previously earned the award in Week 5 (Nov. 6, 2017).
Lillibridge, 18, recorded three assists and a +4 rating over the weekend. In total, Lillibridge has a three-game point streak (0+6), leads all USHL defensemen with 26 points, and is second among all USHL skaters with 23 assists.
Committed to Yale University (ECAC), Lillibridge is in his third USHL season. Originally tendered by the Muskegon Lumberjacks, with whom he spent his rookie season of 2015-2016, the defenseman was acquired by the Steel in a May 2016 trade with the Lumberjacks and helped lead the Steel to the Clark Cup Championship last season, while also being named Co-USHL Academic Player of the Year. He was one was of three members of the Steel roster to compete in the 2018 USHL/NHL Top Prospects Game earlier this month in Kearney, Neb., recording one assist. Lillibridge also won a silver medal with Team USA at last month's World Junior A Challenge in Truro, N.S., Canada.
Lillibridge's award is the third weekly honor this season for the Steel, who are currently tied for third place in the USHL's Eastern Conference (16-12-1-2, 35 pts.). Blake McLaughlin was named USHL Forward of the Week last week (Jan. 15).
Team USA's Jack Hughes (Forward) and Sioux City's Matt Jurusik (Goaltender) also earned Week 16 honors.
This weekend marks a three-game weekend for the Steel. Friday night is Around the World Night, featuring a celebration of the countries and cultures of the team's international players, as Chicago hosts the Cedar Rapids RoughRiders at 7:05 p.m. The following night, the Steel visit the Madison Capitols at 6:05 p.m. The weekend wraps up on home ice on Sunday, Jan. 28 when the Steel face the Muskegon Lumberjacks on Dr. Seuss Day.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from January 24, 2018
- FIVE STARS, THREE AFFILIATES NAMED TO NHL CENTRAL SCOUTING MIDTERM RANKINGS - Lincoln Stars
- Second Annual Dash for Cash - Youngstown Phantoms
- Storm Weekly Update - Tri-City Storm
- Lillibridge Named USHL Defenseman of the Week - Chicago Steel
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Chicago Steel Stories
- Brock Sheahan Named Associate Head Coach
- Chicago Steel 2018-2019 Regular Season Schedule Announced
- Steel Receive Three Players and Three Picks in Trade with Omaha
- Four Players with Steel Ties Selected in 2018 NHL Draft
- Prospects Dazzle in Steel Main Camp All-Star Game