Liberty's First Preseason Loss Comes at Connecticut
UNCASVILLE, CT - The New York Liberty traveled to Connecticut for its second preseason game of the year. Despite shooting nearly 48% from the three, the team ultimately lost to the Connecticut Sun 100-66. Rebecca Allen led the Liberty in scoring with 18 points off the bench in nearly 24 minutes. Tina Charles and Brittany Boyd led the team's rebounding with 5 and 4, respectively.
Connecticut won the tip, giving them the first possession of the contest. Although New York got off to a slow start, scoring its first basket more than two minutes into the first quarter, the Liberty sparked an 11 to 1 run to open the second quarter and tie the game. The Sun quickly regained the lead and never looked back, ending the half up by 14.
The Liberty will take the floor again at the Mohegan Sun Arena tomorrow, May 14, against the Atlanta Dream. The game will tip off at 5 p.m. ET.
- The Liberty shot 36.8% from the field and 47.8% on 3-pointers (11-23).
- Rebecca Allen led all Liberty scoring with 18 points on 50% shooting from the field and the 3-point line.
- Tina Charles reached double figures with 11 points and grabbed 5 rebounds
- Kia Nurse scored 10 points on 50% shooting from the 3-point line.
- Tiffany Bias shot 75% (3-4) from the 3-point line to end the game with 9 points.
- The Sun shot 54.3% from the field and 44% on 3-pointers (11-25)
- Jonquel Jones scored 19 points and shot 53.8% from the field (7-13) and 50% from the 3-point line.
- Brionna Jones scored 8 points off the bench and grabbed 5 rebounds.
HEAD COACH KATIE SMITH
On what she takes from a game like this
"We have lots to learn. We didn't shoot it well, partly because of their defensive pressure and partly we just missed some shots. We shot 37 percent, but got just three offensive rebounds and the last one came in the last two minutes, so that is the effort and the consistency of the effort. They hit some shots, but I thought we could increase our pressure a little bit. It was just little things, getting antsy on offense, but overall, just the consistency our effort and energy should have been a little bit better."
On what you can learn from a game like this
"You can learn something from every game you play. This is early in the season for us and they did a lot of things really well and can continue to work on in terms of practicing and reading."
On what those things are they need to improve on for tomorrow
"It is going to be a similar game. Atlanta likes to get up and down and push the ball as well. We need to make sure defensively that we are tighter than we were today."?
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from May 13, 2019
- Liberty's First Preseason Loss Comes at Connecticut - New York Liberty
- Aces Sign Veteran Guard Sydney Colson - Las Vegas Aces
- Every Wings Player Scores in 82-59 Preseason Loss to Atlanta - Dallas Wings
- Chicago Sky Releases 2019 Local TV Broadcast Schedule - Chicago Sky
- New York Liberty Rookie Han Xu's Debut Generates 1.2 Million Viewers and 6.3 Million Total Video Views in China - WNBA
- Mystics Roster Update - Washington Mystics
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent New York Liberty Stories
- New York Liberty Waive Talia Caldwell
- Zahui B Shines in Liberty Preseason Loss to Dream
- Liberty's First Preseason Loss Comes at Connecticut
- New York Liberty Waive Kolby Morgan
- Nurse and Xu Lead Liberty to 89-71 Preseason Win over Chinese National Team in Brooklyn Debut