Lexington Legends Join Minor League Baseball's CommUNITY First Campaign
Lexington, KY - The Lexington Legends announced today they are joining MiLB CommUNITY First, a new national initiative developed by Minor League Baseball (MiLB) in conjunction with Feeding America®, to raise funds for local food banks and to honor individuals risking their lives on the front lines of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Legends fans are encouraged to visit MiLB.com/CommUNITYFirst through May 31 to donate. Once on the site, fans can choose their donation amount and the Lexington Legends as the recipient of their donation to direct funds to the Bluegrass community. For every $10 donated, the Legends will donate one ticket to a future home game this season or in 2021 to a local hero of the pandemic.
"Minor League Baseball's CommUNITY First initiative is a great representation of what the Legends stand for, coming together as a community" Said Legends President and CEO Andy Shea. "We are proud to be a part of it and proud to help God's Pantry Food Bank on a local level."
School closures, rising unemployment and rising poverty due to quarantine and extended stay-at-home orders have disproportionately impacted people already at risk of hunger and could result in an estimated additional 17.1 million people experiencing food insecurity in the next six months, according to Feeding America. As the nation's largest domestic hunger-relief organization with a network of more than 200 affiliates, Feeding America has projected a $1.4 billion shortfall in the next six months alone.
In response, contributions from Legends fans and Minor League Baseball will help ensure families and individuals across the country most impacted by the pandemic are fed and cared for during these uncertain times. Join the national campaign by donating and selecting the Lexington Legends at MiLB.com/CommUNITYFirst and use #MiLBCommUNITYFirst on social media to show your support.
• Discuss this story on the South Atlantic League message board...
South Atlantic League Stories from April 28, 2020
- Kannapolis Cannon Ballers Join Minor League Baseball's CommUNITY First Campaign - Kannapolis Cannon Ballers
- Columbia Fireflies Join Minor League Baseball's CommUNITY First Campaign - Columbia Fireflies
- Lexington Legends Join Minor League Baseball's CommUNITY First Campaign - Lexington Legends
- The Greenville Drive and MiLB Launch Campaign to Feed Area Families and Honor Pandemic Heroes - Greenville Drive
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Lexington Legends Stories
- Lexington Announces Managers for Battle of the Bourbon Trail Teams
- Legends Announce Battle of the Bourbon Trail with Florence Y'Alls
- 2020 Minor League Baseball Season Canceled
- Baseball Will be Played at Whitaker Bank Ballpark in 2020
- Statement from the Lexington Legends