Legends Control Mad Ants
FRISCO, TX - The Texas Legends (25-18) grabbed a near wire-to-wire victory over the Fort Wayne Mad Ants (25-18) Wednesday night in Frisco. Behind a combined 62-point effort from the two-way duo of Johnathan Motley and Jalen Jones, Texas outworked the visitors 117-105.
Fort Wayne started the game on the free throw line, taking their first and only lead of the night early. Motley and Jameel Warney responded with back-to-backs and Texas' control was established. Jones and Motley got off to a hot start in the first with 12 points apiece, combining for 11-of-12 to lead the Legends to a 70% efficiency in the first quarter and their largest lead of the night (+16). Facing a double-digit deficit in the second, Fort Wayne knocked down 10 unanswered points to pull within four. Texas fought back to an 11-point lead but the visitors' comeback efforts continued and led to a six-point gap at the half.
Motley came out of the break firing, going 5-of-5 and hitting both of his outside shots for a 12-point third, but Fort Wayne's DeQuan Jones was one step ahead (6-of-6) with 13 points as the visitors chipped away. Spreading the offense in the fourth, Fort Wayne made it a one-possession game four different times before allowing a 9-3 streak to the finish by the Legends.
Motley finished the night with 32 points, 4 rebounds, and 4 assists while Jones added 30 points, 7 rebounds. Brandon Ashley grabbed 24 points, 6 rebounds, 3 assists, and 2 steals and Warney wrapped up the double-digit scorers with 13 points, 7 rebounds, 3 assists, and 4 steals.
The Mad Ants' efforts were led by Jones with 37 points, 6 rebounds, and 3 assists while Ike Anigbogu tallied the game's only double-double of 11 points, 10 rebounds. The visitors shot 50% on the night with Texas gaining a slight edge at 52%, but the difference came outside where the home team heated up for 45% to Fort Wayne's 29%.
Texas will hit the road for their final matchup against the Oklahoma City Blue on Friday at 7pm before returning home to host the Reno Bighorns Saturday at 7:30pm. For tickets or information visit www.TexLegends.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 8, 2018
- Warriors Acquire Guard Quinton Chievous from Available Player Pool - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Long Island Spoils Westchester Knicks' Chance to Clinch - Again - Westchester Knicks
- Charge Take Down Claws at Expo - Maine Red Claws
- Charge Crack Claws - Canton Charge
- Legends Acquire Michael Qualls - Texas Legends
- Herd to Host Career Fair and Panel Discussion on Saturday - Wisconsin Herd
- Magic Sign Rodney Purvis to 10-Day Contract - Lakeland Magic
- Legends Control Mad Ants - Texas Legends
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Texas Legends Stories
- Jameel Warney Named to USA Men's World Cup Qualifying Team
- Fourteen Athletes Confirmed to Attend September USA Men's World Cup Qualifying Team Training Camp
- Legends Announce 2018-19 Season Schedule
- Mavericks Sign Daryl Macon to Two-Way Contract
- Legends Launch Mission of the Month Program with Legacy Plumbing