Late Runs Give Twins 7-2 Win over Johnson City
JOHNSON CITY, TN - The Johnson City Cardinals were defeated by the Elizabethton Twins on Thursday night 7-2. With this loss, the Cardinals are now 2-4 during their seven-game homestand and are now 9-12 on the season.
Colin Schmid got the start for the Cardinals, his first of the season. In his first start, he went four innings, gave up four hits, and allowed one earned run. With this start from Schmid, he lowered his season ERA from 11.37 to 7.84.
Elizabethton got the scoring started early by scoring one in the first. The Cardinals were shut out until the top of the fourth when Kevin Woodall hit an RBI double to tie the game at 1.
Elizabethton added four more runs in the fifth inning and one in the sixth inning to make the score 6-1. Johnson City was shut out after the fourth inning and Elizabethton added one run in the eighth to make the score 7-1.
Johnson City tried to make a comeback, scoring one in the ninth to make it 7-2 on a flyball to left from Michael Perri, which allowed Kevin Woodall to score from second.
The Cardinals used three relievers, Michael Brettell, Juan Alvarez, and Edwar Ramirez. Brettell took the loss, his first of the season. He pitched two innings, gave up seven hits, five earned runs, and struck out two hitters.
Juan Alvarez, the third pitcher used by Johnson City, went two innings, giving up four hits, and one earned run.
Edwar Ramirez, the final pitcher used by Johnson City, pitched one inning, and gave up one hit.
The seven game homestand ends tomorrow for Johnson City with a bang, post-game fireworks and a Jordan Hicks Jersey Shirt Giveaway. Saturday, July 14th begins a roadtrip for the Cardinals at Burlington and a five day break from TVA Credit Union Ballpark until July 18th for a home series against Bluefield.
The full schedule for the season and information regarding tickets, and promotion days can be found at jccardinals.com or by calling the Cardinals Office at (423) 461- 4866.
• Discuss this story on the Appalachian League message board...
Appalachian League Stories from July 12, 2018
- Smith's Timely Homerun Lifts D-Braves to Series Win - Danville Braves
- Pirates Bow to Big Pulaski Eighth - Bristol Pirates
- Late Runs Give Twins 7-2 Win over Johnson City - Johnson City Cardinals
- Greeneville Knocks off K-Mets 5-4 - Kingsport Mets
- Late Push by Johnson City Not Enough, Cardinals Fall to Yankees - Johnson City Cardinals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Johnson City Cardinals Stories
- Johnson City Falls 3-2 to Bluefield But Win the Series
- Cardinals Bats Explode Early to Take Game 2 against Bluefield
- Kevin Woodall Blasts Three Homeruns to Power Cardinals to Win
- Cardinals Blow Late Lead, Royals Win Series 2-1
- Cardinals Hang on to Win 7-6, Even Series against Burlington