Late Push by Johnson City Not Enough, Cardinals Fall to Yankees
JOHNSON CITY, TN - The Johnson City Cardinals were defeated by the Elizabethton Twins on Wednesday night 10-5. With this loss, the Cardinals are now 2-3 during their seven-game homestand and are now 9-11 on the season.
Kyle Leahy got his second start for Johnson City. He started only one other game this season and spent the rest coming out of the bullpen. Leahy pitched four innings, giving up nine hits, six earned runs, and two strikeouts.
Elizabethton got the scoring started early by scoring two in the first. At the end of the second inning, Elizabethton led Johnson City 2-0.
In the third and fourth innings, Elizabethton scored one run in the third and three runs in the four inning to make it 6-0.
The Twins continued to keep their bats going, scoring three runs in the sixth and one run in the seventh to make it 10-0 in the bottom of the eighth.
The Cardinals managed to get one run in the bottom of the seventh from a Nolan Gorman RBI single.
In the bottom of the ninth, the Cardinals tried to make the comeback but fell short by a final score of 10-6, after putting up five runs in the bottom of the ninth.
Kyle Leahy got the start for the Cardinals, Jake Sylvester came in to relieve Leahy. Sylvester went 1.2 innings, giving up three hits, three earned runs, with one walk and striking out four.
David Oca came in after Sylvester and pitched 2.1 innings, giving up one earned run, with one walk and four strikeouts.
Parker Kelly closed the game out for the Cardinals and threw a perfect one inning of relief. The Cardinals fall to (9-11) on the season. They finish their seven game homestand on Friday, after playing four games at home against Elizabethton.
The full schedule for the season and information regarding tickets, and promotion days can be found at jccardinals.com or by calling the Cardinals Office at (423) 461- 4866.
• Discuss this story on the Appalachian League message board...
Appalachian League Stories from July 12, 2018
- Smith's Timely Homerun Lifts D-Braves to Series Win - Danville Braves
- Pirates Bow to Big Pulaski Eighth - Bristol Pirates
- Late Runs Give Twins 7-2 Win over Johnson City - Johnson City Cardinals
- Greeneville Knocks off K-Mets 5-4 - Kingsport Mets
- Late Push by Johnson City Not Enough, Cardinals Fall to Yankees - Johnson City Cardinals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Johnson City Cardinals Stories
- Johnson City Falls 3-2 to Bluefield But Win the Series
- Cardinals Bats Explode Early to Take Game 2 against Bluefield
- Kevin Woodall Blasts Three Homeruns to Power Cardinals to Win
- Cardinals Blow Late Lead, Royals Win Series 2-1
- Cardinals Hang on to Win 7-6, Even Series against Burlington