Late Goal Pushes Bears to Brink in Game 3
(Hershey, PA) - Nathan Walker tallied in the 1st period for the Hershey Bears, but the Charlotte Checkers came from behind to top the Bears, 3-1, on Tuesday night at Giant Center. Vitek Vanecek turned aside 20 of 22 shots in the losing effort. Hershey's power play finished the night 0-for-6, including 0-for-4 in the third period.
Walker provided the Bears their first lead of the series after completing a backdoor deflection at 18:56 of the first period. Ryan Sproul sent a slap pass to towards the net from the right point, and Walker gained inside positioning for the tip past Charlotte goaltender Alex Nedeljkovic. Hershey carried a 1-0 lead into first intermission and an 11-7 shot advantage.
Charlotte evened the score at 6:32 of the second period. On an offensive zone entry, Aleksi Saarela blasted a shot past Vanecek's short side and into the cage. The 1-1 deadlock carried deep into the third period with shots 19-13 Checkers after 40 minutes. In the third, the Bears were unable to convert on several key scoring chances, and Charlotte dangerously countered on a transition play with less than three minutes left. On the rebound of a Vanecek save on Trevor Carrick, Stelio Mattheos scored the eventual game-winner into an open net at 17:52. Saarela added an empty net goal for his second of the night at 19:03 to complete a 3-1 final.
The Charlotte Checkers now lead the best-of-seven series, 3-0, pushing the Bears to the brink of elimination.
The Hershey Bears return to action on Wednesday, May 8 for Game 4 of the best-of-seven Atlantic Division Finals against the Charlotte Checkers. Puck drop at Giant Center is slated for 7 p.m. Ticket information is available online at HersheyBears.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from May 7, 2019
- Marlies Advance to Eastern Conference Finals - Toronto Marlies
- Monsters End Season with 6-2 Loss to Marlies in Game 4 - Cleveland Monsters
- Mattheos' Late Winner Gives Checkers 3-0 Series Lead - Charlotte Checkers
- Late Goal Pushes Bears to Brink in Game 3 - Hershey Bears
- Marlies Set for Game Four of North Division Finals - Toronto Marlies
- Forward Mason Shaw Undergoes Successful Surgery - Iowa Wild
- Flames Sign Carl-Johan Lerby - Stockton Heat
- Blue Jackets Assign Forward Alexandre Texier to Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- American Hockey League Announces Suspensions - AHL
- Game Preview: Checkers at Bears, 7 p.m. (Round 2, Game 3) - Hershey Bears
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hershey Bears Stories
- Bears Weekly: Bears Hold Strong, Push Towards Playoffs Underway
- Bears Beat Checkers 6-1, Kessy in Stable Condition after Fight
- Game Preview: Bears vs. Checkers, 7 PM
- Capitals Acquire Forward Daniel Sprong from Anaheim
- Bears Erase Early Deficit, Win in Shootout over Bridgeport