Late Goal Gives Dynamo Crucial 1-0 Win on the Road in Champions League
GUATEMALA CITY, GUATEMALA - The Houston Dynamo used a late goal from an American soccer legend to emerge with a 1-0 victory over two-time defending Guatemalan champion CD Guastatoya tonight in the first leg of their Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League Round of 16 series.
Defender DaMarcus Beasley scored the winner in the 84th minute with a blast from outside the penalty area off of a Houston corner kick. Forward Romell Quioto whipped in the corner, which was headed away by a Guastatoya defender. The left-footed Beasley called off a teammate and uncorked a right-footed blast into the lower right corner of the net to put the Dynamo ahead. The left back backed up his goal with a stellar night defensively in earning Man of the Match honors from Concacaf.
The Dynamo and Guastatoya will meet again in Houston in the return leg of the home-and-home series next Tuesday, Feb. 26, at 7 p.m. CDT. Houston needs a win or a draw at home on Tuesday to advance to the quarterfinals of the tournament.
The Dynamo controlled possession throughout the contest as a physical and stingy Guastatoya side sat deep in a 5-3-2 formation and defended with numbers in front of a boisterous home crowd.
Midfielder Juan David Cabezas was the first Dynamo player to have a look at goal when he got free for a shot from distance in the 15th minute, but his blast whistled over the bar.
Cabezas forced a diving save with another long-range blast in the 34th minute. Quioto took a long throw-in deep in the Guastatoya end, and the initial clearance fell to Cabezas outside the area. His first-touch side-volley took a deflection on its way through, but was destined for the lower right corner before Guastatoya goalkeeper Jose Calderon intervened.
Guastatoya created a pair of dangerous scoring chances midway through the first half through attacking moves down each wing. In the 16th minute, a push down their right flank resulted in a cross that was headed over the crossbar. Another opportunity came in the 23rd from the opposite side, forcing Dynamo goalkeeper Joe Willis to come off his line to punch the ball out of danger.
Midfielder Tomás Martínez and forward Mauro Manotas linked up for a scoring chance in the 56th minute when Martínez drove through the middle of the Guastatoya defensive block before being hacked down. The ball rolled to Manotas, who quickly collected and fired a right-footed shot that forced a save from Calderon.
Willis came up with a big save in the 77th minute to keep the match scoreless, diving low to his left to smother a Guastatoya shot from distance as attackers buzzed around him sniffing for a rebound. Six minutes later, it was Calderon answering on the other end as he came off his line to deny Quioto at the doorstep, but the resulting corner kick ended with Beasley's game-winning blast.
The Dynamo return to Houston on Wednesday and will begin preparation for the return leg of the series late this week. Tickets for Tuesday's match are on sale now, starting at $24, at HoustonDynamo.com or by phone at 713-276-4625 (GOAL).
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from February 20, 2019
- Montreal Draws 0-0 against the Tampa Bay Rowdies - Montreal Impact
- Orlando Claims Inaugural Orlando City Invitational Trophy - Orlando City SC
- Timbers Continue Mobile Mini Sun Cup against Phoenix Rising FC - Portland Timbers
- Revolution Fall to Orlando City SC in Final Match of Orlando City Invitational - New England Revolution
- Lamah's late goal equalizes as Orange and Blue stay atop Carolina Challenge Cup standings - FC Cincinnati
- Red Bulls Take Road Victory in SCCL Leg 1 - New York Red Bulls
- Chicago Fire Battle FC Cincinnati to a 1-1 Draw in Carolina Challenge Cup - Chicago Fire
- Acosta, Rosenberry and Rubio Pen Long-Term Deals with Colorado - Colorado Rapids
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. Club Nacional (International Friendly) - February 20, 2019 - Seattle Sounders FC
- Fan-Focused Menu Options Coming to Houston Dynamo & Dash Home Games - Houston Dynamo
- LA Galaxy Announce Loans for Bradford Jamieson IV and Joao Pedro - LA Galaxy
- FC Dallas Beats Real Salt Lake 2-1 - FC Dallas
- Real Salt Lake Falls 2-1 to FC Dallas in Mobile Mini Sun Cup - Real Salt Lake
- Timbers Acquire Paraguayan International Jorge Moreira on Loan - Portland Timbers
- FC Dallas Opens 2019 MLS Season with Innovative Culinary Enhancements at Toyota Stadium - FC Dallas
- Sounders FC Announces Complete Regional Broadcast Lineup for 2019 Season - Seattle Sounders FC
- LA Galaxy and Dignity Health Sports Park Name El Silencio Their Exclusive Mezcal Partner - LA Galaxy
- LA Galaxy Partner with On the Ball to Provide Complimentary Feminine Hygiene Products - LA Galaxy
- LAFC Named to Fast Company's Annual List of the World's Most Innovative Companies for 2019 - Los Angeles FC
- Late Goal Gives Dynamo Crucial 1-0 Win on the Road in Champions League - Houston Dynamo
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Houston Dynamo Stories
- Mexican Powers Club America & C.F. Monterrey to Face off in LIGA MX Friendly at BBVA Stadium
- Four Houston Dynamo Players Called up for International Duty
- Match Between Tigres U.A.N.L. and Club Santos Laguna at BBVA Stadium Cancelled
- Houston Dynamo Forwards Named to Audi MLS Team of the Week
- Dynamo Send Beasley off with 4-2 Win over LA Galaxy