Last Week around the Leagues
by Fran Stuchbury
September 1, 2020 - Major League Soccer (MLS)
This past week Houston Roughnecks receiver Cam Phillips, the best receiver in the XFL, signed with the NFL's Carolina Panthers; Dell Roy Hansen agreed to sell MLS's Real Salt Lake, USL Championship's Real Monarchs SLC and the NWSL's Utah Royals FC; and the Indoor Football League awarded an expansion franchise to Prescott Valley, Arizona. Highlights from this week are from the XFL, Canadian Football League, Indoor Football League, Major League Soccer, National Women's Soccer League, United Soccer League One, Major League Lacrosse and World TeamTennis.
The NFL Carolina Panthers signed XFL Houston Roughnecks wide receiver Cam Phillips. Phillips led the league with 31 receptions for 455 yards and nine touchdowns in Houston's five XFL games before the league was shuttered due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
Here are his highlights:
Canadian Football League
Arizona Cardinals quarterback Chris Streveler making transition from CFL to NFL.
Indoor Football League
The Indoor Football League awarded a franchise to Prescott Valley, Arizona for the 2021 season.
The IFL welcomes our newest team to Prescott Valley, Arizona! Fred Shaffer talks with team owner Trey Medlock.
IFL Journalist Fred Shaffer sat down for a Zoom interview with, Massachusetts Pirates Co-Owner, President and General Manager Jawad Yatim, to introduce the Pirates as the newest team to the Indoor Football League.
National Arena League
The Jersey Flight have announced the re-signing of veteran quarterback Danny Southwick. Southwick has more experience than any other quarterback in the NAL, and began playing arena football in 2008. Over the course of his career Southwick has played for 17 franchises, making the Flight the 18th professional football team that he has been on.
Major League Soccer
Major League Soccer has been informed that Real Salt Lake Investor-Operator Dell Loy Hansen has decided that he will begin a process to sell Utah Soccer Holdings, the entity that owns Real Salt Lake (MLS), Utah Royals FC (NWSL) and Real Monarchs (USL). MLS will work with Mr. Hansen on supporting the sale efforts for the company and will work closely with the club's executive staff to support the operations of the team during the transition period.
Dell Loy Hansen Agrees To Sell Real Salt Lake, Club Looking For New Ownership
National Women's Soccer League
The National Women's Soccer League announced that its breakout 2020 season will resume on Sept. 5, 2020. Following the success of the Challenge Cup presented by P&G and Secret, there will be a televised NWSL Game of the Week on the CBS Television Network every Saturday in September, and on CBS Sports Network three Saturdays in October. CBS All Access will exclusively stream four games as well as the CBS broadcast coverage in September. The NWSL fall series will include 18 matches over the course of seven weeks, featuring three, three-team pods.
The NWSL returns to field starting on September 5 for the fall series.
United Soccer League Championship
Since joining the USL Championship in May of 2014, Saint Louis FC has been a force for good in the Saint Louis soccer community. While it's with disappointment that we must move forward without the Club in 2021, its contributions to both the growth of our sport and the culture around it will not be forgotten. To everyone involved in building Saint Louis FC, we thank you for your time, energy and all you have accomplished. You will always be a part of our league.
United Soccer League One
USL League One Save of the Week Winner - Week 6 - Dallas Jaye Greenville Triumph
Major League Lacrosse
Major League Lacrosse 2020 Award Winners. The awards from the MLL bubble have been announced. See who is going home with some hardware.
Boston Cannons attack Randy Staats 2020 MLL Highlights
Major League Rugby
Kanaloa Hawaii is seeking eight to 12 dates to bring Major League Rugby competition to Aloha Stadium in 2021.
Mike and Bob Bryan talk about playing their last match of the WTT 2020 season. They reflect on their career and what World TeamTennis means to them. (This interview originally aired on July 29, 2020)
Did we miss anything newsworthy or downright fun? Have a nomination for next week's column? Contact us today and let us know.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 1, 2020
- Impact Topple Toronto - Club de Foot Montreal
- Loudoun United FC Lose 3-0 to Pittsburgh Riverhounds SC on the Road - D.C. United
- LAFC to Face the San Jose Earthquakes Tomorrow at Banc of California Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- Three Points: Houston Dynamo Host MiB Semifinalist Minnesota United FC - Houston Dynamo FC
- LAFC Loans Midfielder Alejandro Guido to San Diego Loyal SC - Los Angeles FC
- Inter Miami to Visit Atlanta United FC on Wednesday - Inter Miami CF
- Impact Soccer Schools Unveil Programming for 2020-21 Season - Club de Foot Montreal
- Atlanta United Kicks off Annual Unite & Conquer Cancer Month - Atlanta United FC
- Minnesota United FC vs. Houston Dynamo Notes - Minnesota United FC
- Game Preview: New England Revolution vs. New York City FC - New England Revolution
- #SKCvFCD: Five Facts You Need to Know - FC Dallas
- RAVE Foundation and Seattle Storm Celebrate Opening of Renovated Recreation Space at Midway Park in Des Moines this Thursday - Seattle Sounders FC
- By the Numbers: We Meet Again - Orlando City SC
- Storylines: City vs. Nashville SC - Orlando City SC
- Orlando City Makes First Visit to Nashville SC on Wednesday - Orlando City SC
- Nashville SC's Lineup Changes Prove Effective in Win over Inter Miami CF - Nashville SC
- Preview: First-Place Sporting to Host FC Dallas on Wednesday - Sporting Kansas City
- Match Preview: Atlanta United vs. Inter Miami CF - Atlanta United FC
- Minnesota United Signs Argentine Emanuel "Bebelo" Reynoso from Boca Juniors - Minnesota United FC
- MLS, Inter Miami CF Honor MLS's Kick Childhood Cancer Awareness Month - Inter Miami CF
- Match Preview: Atlantic Cup Rivals New York and D.C. United Clash on Wednesday - New York Red Bulls
- Continental Tire Joins Forces with Major League Soccer for 7th Annual Kick Childhood Cancer Campaign - MLS
- This Week in MLS: 15 Olympic-Eligible Americans Registered Goals or Assists in MLS Last Weekend - MLS
- Last Week around the Leagues - OSC Original by Fran Stuchbury
The opinions expressed in this article are those of the writer(s), and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.