Las Vegas Hosts Defending Champs Today at 7 pm PT
LAS VEGAS - Las Vegas hosts the defending champion Seattle Storm this Tuesday, as the Aces try to move two games over the .500 mark for the first time since the 2014 season. Tip at the Mandalay Bay Events Center is slated for 7 pm PT.
The Aces improved to 5-4, Saturday, with an 86-68 victory over the Dallas Wings. Dearica Hamby scored a career-high 27 points, and A'ja Wilson added 20 in the win. Wilson was named the WNBA's Western Conference Player of the Week after averaging 24 points per game and connecting on 20 of 26 shots from the field.
Las Vegas' defense is still ranked first in the league in defensive field goal percentage (.386), adjusted defensive field goal percentage (.432), and Defensive Efficiency (points allowed per 100 possessions, 94.0), and second in defensive rebound percentage (78.7%).
Seattle is a surprising 7-4 on the year despite being without the services of last year's league MVP, Breanna Stewart, and 11-time All-Star Sue Bird. Both will miss the entirety of the season with injuries.
The Storm defense has been nearly as good relative to the league average as last season, in part because they force the most turnovers in the league at 17.2 per game.
Although Seattle isn't as effective offensively as it was a year ago, the Storm still has Natasha Howard (19.4 points per game) and Jewell Loyd (17.0) to carry them. They rank as the top scoring duo in the WNBA, and Seattle gets balanced scoring from the rest of its roster as seven players average between 4.7 and 9.8 points per game.
Las Vegas went 1-2 against the Storm a year, picking up an 89-77 road win over the eventual WNBA champs on June 19.
• Discuss this story on the Women's National Basketball Association message board...
Women's National Basketball Association Stories from June 25, 2019
- Fever's Historic Comeback Falls Short in Loss to Lynx - Indiana Fever
- Minnesota/Indiana Postgame Notes - Minnesota Lynx
- Wings Set for Wednesday Rumble with Sun - Dallas Wings
- Las Vegas Hosts Defending Champs Today at 7 pm PT - Las Vegas Aces
- Clarendon Undergoes Ankle Surgery - Connecticut Sun
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Las Vegas Aces Stories
- Las Vegas Aces and Zappos.Com Partner with Area High School Girls Basketball Teams for Lace up Mentorship Program
- Aces, A'ja Wilson Team up with NIKE to Grow the Game for Girls in Las Vegas
- October 17, 2019 Proclaimed "The Las Vegas Aces Day in the City of Las Vegas"
- Las Vegas Aces Jackie Young Scores Game-High 9, But USAB Falls, 14-12, to Brazil in Quarterfinals
- Aces Jackie Young Leads USAB 3x3 To, 22-3, Trouncing of Russia