Largest Crowd in Senators Home Opening History Watches 5-1 Victory
The Harrisburg Senators defeated the Bowie Baysox 5-1 in front of 6,758 fans, the largest crowd in Senators home opening history. Jefry Rodriguez tossed six and two thirds shutout innings and Khayyan Norfork drove in three runs en route to the win.
"That was fun. Any time you can play when it's 80 degrees and it's packed, it makes it more fun when you come to the park." Manager Matt LeCroy said after the game. "It was a perfect night."
The Senators opened the scoring with a run in the second against Baysox starter Keegan Akin on an RBI single by Norfork to go up 1-0.
The club tacked on single runs again in both the fourth and fifth. In the top of the fourth, with the bases loaded and one out, Norfork bounced into a run-scoring fielder's choice. The next inning, Taylor Gushue launched a home run deep to left, his first homer in a Senators uniform and at the Double-A level.
Rodriguez (1-1) threw six and two-thirds scoreless frames while striking out four and walking two. The start was the deepest a Senators starter has thrown through the first seven games of the season.
"(Everything) was working (for Rodriguez) tonight. He threw the ball over the plate and mixed in a curveball and change up." LeCroy assessed. "He did a nice job getting shut down innings after we scored. I was really pleased. He did a really nice job."
Akin (0-2) received the loss after allowing three runs in five innings.
Bowie scored their lone run of the game in the top of the eighth against reliever Austen Williams when Austin Hayes singled in a run. With two runners on and one out, Roman Mendez induced an inning ending double play to preserve the 3-1 lead.
The Senators plated their final two runs in the in the eighth. With Kelvin Gutierrez at second after a single and a stolen base, Norfork singled him in to plate the first run of the frame. With Daniel Johnson at the plate, Norfork advanced to third on a wild pitch, and scored on a throwing error by catcher Martin Cervenka.
Bryan Harper tossed a scoreless ninth inning to secure the 5-1 victory in the home opener.
Norfork's three RBI led the Senators, and he along with Gamache and Gutierrez finished with a pair of hits. Norfork is now 4-7 this season with five RBI. "Every time he plays, he seems like he's able to do something to help you win." LeCroy noted. "He had a really great year last year and he's started off really well this year."
The Senators and Baysox play game two of the series Saturday night. Luis Reyes takes the ball for the Senators opposite Bowie starter Hunter Harvey. First pitch is scheduled for 6:00 p.m. at FNB Field.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from April 13, 2018
- River City Blues - Reading Fightin Phils
- Johnson Dazzles Record Crowd in Home Opener - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Largest Crowd in Senators Home Opening History Watches 5-1 Victory - Harrisburg Senators
- Bichette's First Triple, Pentecost's First HR Not Enough in Fisher Cats Loss - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Yard Goats Beat Former Major League Pitcher for Second Straight Victory - Hartford Yard Goats
- RubberDucks Fall to Trenton as Pitchers Dominate - Akron RubberDucks
- Clutch Play from Alvarez and Strong Pitching Lead 2-1 Win over Akron - Trenton Thunder
- Altoona Spoils UPMC Park Opener - Erie SeaWolves
- Baysox Winning Streak Snapped with 5-1 Loss - Bowie Baysox
- Four-Run Fourth Helps Curve Spoil SeaWolves' Home Opener - Altoona Curve
- Great Way to Start: 'Dogs Win Home Opener 4-2 - Portland Sea Dogs
- Alonso's Blast Not Enough for Ponies in Portland, 4-2 - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Altoona Curve - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Acevedo Placed on 7-Day Disabled List - Trenton Thunder
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: Game #7 - Rumble Ponies (3-3) at Sea Dogs (1-5) - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Sea Dogs Game Notes April 13th vs. Binghamton - Portland Sea Dogs
- Baysox to Host Educator Appreciation Night on April 20 - Bowie Baysox
- Governor Northam to Throw First Pitch at Richmond Flying Squirrels' Home Opener - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Flying Squirrels Announce Transactions - Richmond Flying Squirrels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Harrisburg Senators Stories
- Senators Eliminated with 12-5 Loss
- Harrisburg Senators Game Information & Starting Lineup vs. Bowie - Game 4 WDCS
- Early Deficit too Much for Senators to Overcome
- Harrisburg Senators Game Information and Starting Lineup vs Bowie, Game 3, WDCS
- Senators Knot Series in 12