Lancers Sink the Buccaneers
OMAHA CONTINUES WIN STREAK
Ralston, NE - The Omaha Lancers faced off against the Des Moines Buccaneers Friday night. The Lancers, one of the hottest teams in the USHL, has won six games in a row and are 8-1-1-0 in their past ten games played. This was the third matchup between these two squads this season. Vinnie Purpura got the nod to play between the pipes. Purpura has been playing well winning the past three games he's played in net and also has a 1.87 GAA and a .923 SV%.
In the first period, Filip Suchy opened the scoring for the Lancers. Grant Anderson shot the puck from the right wing and then Suchy found the rebound to snap it past Christian Stoever. Minutes later, Suchy got the Lancers on the board again when he found the loose puck off of a shot from Christian O'Neill to put the Lancers up 2-0 heading into the first intermission.
In the third period, Cole Gallant got the Lancers on the board with an assist from Suchy. The Lancers kept on the attack when Brendan Furry scored on a short-handed breakaway. With 10:23 left in the period, Noah Cates scored on a wrap-around goal. O'Neill started the play when he took the puck behind Stoever's net and Cates came across from the opposite side. O'Neill then left the puck for Cates who snuck it for the goal. Des Moines picked up the pace though, scoring back-to-back goals, but it wasn't enough. The Lancers won 5-2 and continue onto a 7 game win streak. Vinnie Purpura stopped 24 of the 26 Buccaneer shots.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from December 18, 2017
- Storm Score Game's Only Goal in Overtime Win - Tri-City Storm
- Saints Earn Point on the Road in Kearney - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Postgame Recap: Hawks Go to the Holidays Happy - Waterloo Black Hawks
- 12-16-17 Tossed - Madison Capitols
- Steel Comeback Falls Short in Saturday Loss - Chicago Steel
- Stampede Earn a Point in OT Loss to Omaha - Sioux Falls Stampede
- RECAP -- Stars Comeback Falls Short in 7-5 Loss - Lincoln Stars
- USA Hockey to Partner with C.S. Mott Children's Hospital for Event - U.S. National Team
- U.S. National Under-17 Team Defeats Russia - U.S. National Team
- Rigsby makes 33 saves - U.S. National Team
- Lancers Sink the Buccaneers - Omaha Lancers
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.