Lancers Bolster Roster Through Phase One Draft
Ralston, NE - The Lancers took the first step in preparing for the 2017-18 season on Monday evening, adding ten players to the roster through Phase One of the USHL draft.
Omaha completed Phase One of the USHL Draft selecting three defenseman, six forwards, and one goaltender on Monday evening.
The Lancers began the 2017 draft by selecting back-to-back defensemen in the first and second rounds. Omaha drafted defenseman Nicolas Belpedio with the fourth overall pick in the draft. The Skokie, IL native became the third Chicago Mission product to be drafted by the Lancers in the last two years. Belpedio joins Jack Randl and Tyler Carpenter, whom were both drafted last season.
John Driscoll, taken by the Lancers in the second round, was the first of two players from the Colorado Thunderbirds program taken by Omaha. The Thunderbirds, coached by former Lancer Hall of Famer Angelo Ricci, saw Driscoll joined by netminder Cal Sandquist. Sandquist was the lone netminder taken by the Lancers during Phase One.
Omaha took its first forward of the night in the fourth round drafting Tim Washe from Victory Honda in Michigan. After Washe the Lancers took three more forwards before taking another defenseman. Canadian Austin Lamotte and Norwegian Kenneth Pappalardo Gulbrandsen comprised Omaha's fifth and sixth round picks. In the seventh round the Lancers picked up forward Asa Kinnear from Anchorage, AK. The forward had been playing with the Alaska Oilers U15 program last season.
In the eighth round Omaha went back to defensemen drafting Doylestown, PA native Greg Japchen. To round out phase one of the USHL draft Omaha went back on the offensive drafting forwards Jack Cronin and
Phase Two of the USHL Draft continues on Tuesday morning beginning at 8 am CT. All junior eligible players that are not protected by a USHL team will be eligible to be taken during Phase Two. Omaha will pick 11 times in the first 7 rounds.
For complete coverage of the 2017 USHL Draft go to Lancers.com/Draft or follow the Omaha Lancers on Twitter @OmahaLancers, "Like" the official Omaha Lancers Facebook page.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from May 1, 2017
- Stampede Select 10 Players During Phase I of Draft - Sioux Falls Stampede
- Storm Acquires First-Round Pick for Three Players - Tri-City Storm
- Hawks Take Nine Monday - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Fighting Saints Make 10 Selections in Phase I - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Capitols Pck 10 Players in Phase I of the 2017 USHL Draft - Madison Capitols
- Lancers Bolster Roster Through Phase One Draft - Omaha Lancers
- RoughRiders Select 10 in Phase I of USHL - Cedar Rapids RoughRiders
- Storm Selects High-End Talent in Phase I Draft - Tri-City Storm
- Stampede Ready for USHL Drafts - Sioux Falls Stampede
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.