Lamoreaux Saves 41; Capitols Fall 5-2
Muskegon, MI - Despite a 41 save effort from Joey Lamoreaux, the Madison Capitols' (6-15-1-2) offense couldn't keep up as the Muskegon Lumberjacks (21-5-1-0) fought for a 5-2 victory at home in Michigan. With the loss, Madison's losing streak has extended to five-straight losses.
Muskegon started the scoring off with a 5-on-3 power play goal with just under six minutes remaining in the opening period. They would net one more to take the two-goal lead with 40 seconds left in the first frame.
Seven minutes into the second period, Carson Bantle fired one off after Kristof Papp won a faceoff in neutral ice. Bantle snapped off a wrist-shot from the inside of the left circle that was partially saved by Brandon Bussi, but eventually snuck it's way past the goal line. The officials had to go to the monitors for the review, but ended up upholding the call as the Capitols cut the lead in half.
Muskegon's Mikael Hakkarainen netted his second of the game midway through the third period, but only 49 seconds later, Josh Boyer fired a one-timer past Bussi on the power play to bring the Capitols back within one once again for his 5th of the season, tying Bantle's 5th from earlier in the game. Kalle Eriksson was credited with the assist on the power play goal, his first point since dawning a Madison jersey.
A misplay late in the third brought about a defensive turnover and a shorthanded opportunity for Muskegon as they converted on the attempt to regain their two-goal lead. An empty netter late in the game sealed the deal as the Lumberjacks took game one of two on the weekend.
Joey Lamoreaux and Brandon Bussi (41 saves and 32 saves respectively) put up on a show in what could have been a high-scoring affair with any other netminders facing off.
These two teams return to action tomorrow night to finish off a back-to-back series in Michigan. Puck drop is set for 6:15pm CST at L.C. Walker Arena in Muskegon. Catch all the action on hockeytv.com.
Madison will return home on Saturday, January 5th for the 5th annual Be The Miracle Night, loaded with specialty jerseys and a Mark Johnson Bobblehead Giveaway.
Don't miss out on any of the action this season as the Capitols embark on their 5th season in the USHL. Ticket packages, suites, and group outing are available now at www.madcapshockey.comor by calling the front office at (608) 257-2277.
• Discuss this story on the United States Hockey League message board...
United States Hockey League Stories from December 29, 2018
- Hawks Stay Hot at Home - Waterloo Black Hawks
- Fear Stymies Fighting Saints in 42 Save Shutout - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Lumberjacks Persevere to Gain First Weekend Sweep in a Month - Muskegon Lumberjacks
- Stars Fall to Musketeers 4-3 - Lincoln Stars
- Sioux City Adds Three Players After Holiday Break - Sioux City Musketeers
- Gameday Preview: Storm Host Rival Omaha at Viaero Center - Tri-City Storm
- Saints Welcome Gamblers and Phantoms to End 2018 - Dubuque Fighting Saints
- Preview - Stars vs Musketeers - Lincoln Stars
- Lamoreaux Saves 41; Capitols Fall 5-2 - Madison Capitols
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Madison Capitols Stories
- Capitols Select Two in Dispersal Draft
- Lucas Herrmann Announces Commitment to University of New Hampshire
- Capitols and Gamblers Team up to Raise Money for AJ Degenhardt & MS
- Bantle and Petrick Announce Collegiate Commitments
- Capitols Prepare for Big Weekend at Home