Lambert, Carrizales Shine, But Cats Go Yard to Sweep Goats
HARTFORD - Tape measure home runs by Cavan Biggio and Vladimir Guerrero Jr. lifted the New Hampshire Fisher Cats to a 4-2 victory over the Hartford Yard Goats Sunday afternoon, before 4,205 at Dunkin' Donuts Park. The Fisher Cats swept the season-opening four-game series from the Goats and improved to 9-4 in two seasons in Hartford.
Making his first Double-A start for the Yard Goats, Peter Lambert tossed six scoreless innings at the Fisher Cats with five strike outs and one walk. The Colorado Rockies' second round draft choice in 2015 was helped by three double plays turned by the Goats' infield. Meanwhile, New Hampshire starter Sean Reid-Foley yielded only one hit over six innings, a lead-off, first inning bunt single by Garrett Hampson. He walked three and struck out seven.
Biggio's two-run home run, which cleared the fence behind the last row of seats in the upper deck in right center, snapped a scoreless tie in the seventh inning. Juan Kelly's RBI-single made it 3-0. In the last of the seventh, the Yard Goats cut the lead to one run on a two-run double to dead center by Omar Carrizales. But Guerrero's tape-measure home run, which cleared the back wall of Dunkin' Donuts Park in left center, proved to be a big insurance run for the Toronto Blue Jays affiliate.
Five Hartford players each had a hit, led by Carrizales. In addition to the Biggio and Guerrero home runs, Bo Bichette and Lourdes Gurriel each had two hits to pace New Hampshire's 10-hit attack.
The Yard Goats open a three-game series at Dunkin' Donuts Park Monday at 7:05 p.m. against the Richmond Flying Squirrels. . RHP Parker French will take to the Hill for Hartford against the San Francisco Giants affiliate. The game can be heard on News Radio 1410 AM and on the iHeart Radio app. The game will be televised by Vantage SportsNet and video stream of the game can be viewed on MiLB.tv
New Hampshire 4-10-2 Hartford 2-5-0
WP- Sean Reid-Foley (1-0) LP- Logan Cozart (0-1) S- Andrew Case (1)
T- 2:29 A- 4,205
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from April 8, 2018
- Fightins Get First Win of 2018 - Reading Fightin Phils
- Keller, Bullpen Toss Shutout as Curve Take Series Finale - Altoona Curve
- Sea Dogs Rally Falls Short, 4-3 Loss at Binghamton - Portland Sea Dogs
- Fightins Spoil Sweep Attempt - Erie SeaWolves
- Sea Dogs Un-Nabil to Solve Crismatt, 4-3 - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Squirrels Squeak out Series Split in Trenton - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Vlad Jr. & Biggio Unleash First Double-A Homers in 'Cats Win - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Senators Comeback Falls Short in 6-4 Loss at Bowie - Harrisburg Senators
- Baysox Hold off Late Harrisburg Rally in 6-4 Win - Bowie Baysox
- Altoona Shuts down RubberDucks - Akron RubberDucks
- Lambert, Carrizales Shine, But Cats Go Yard to Sweep Goats - Hartford Yard Goats
- Sea Dogs Game Notes April 8th at Binghamton - Portland Sea Dogs
- Erie SeaWolves at Reading Fightin Phils - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes: Rumble Ponies (2-0) vs. Sea Dogs (0-2) - 2:05 PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Harrisburg Senators Game Notes at Bowie - Game #4 - Harrisburg Senators
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Hartford Yard Goats Stories
- Rodgers' Shot over and out as Goats Win Wild One
- Luke's Finish Is Gospel as Goats' Comeback Is Stymied
- Tom's Fiver Helps Ducks Dunk Goats
- Yard Goats Show Swag, Flashing Leather and Muscle to Top Ducks
- Yard Goats Partner with TicketReturn to Provide Tickets for Local Veterans