LAFC and FC Dallas Draw 1-1 on Sunday Afternoon
The Los Angeles Football Club (LAFC) and FC Dallas split the points on Sunday afternoon following a 1-1 contest at Toyota Stadium. Forward Carlos Vela tallied his league-high 14th goal of the season via the penalty spot, and has now scored in three consecutive matches.
The home side opened up the scoresheet just before the thirty-minute mark after Ryan Hollingshead tapped in a low ball across the face of goal by Dominique Badji. Minutes before the break, Vela would be taken down inside the box, but the forward's penalty kick attempt was saved by goalkeeper Jesse Gonzalez.
In the 49th minute, Dallas defender Matt Hedges saw a straight red card for a foul on Vela and LAFC would play the final 40 minutes with 10 men. The Black & Gold controlled possession and eventually tied things up in the 80th minute after another penalty kick was called on Dallas - this time a handball inside the box. Vela stepped up and buried the shot to the left corner of the goal.
With the draw, LAFC remains atop the MLS standings with a 9-1-4 (31 points) record. Next up for the Black & Gold is a home matchup against Eastern Conference side Montreal Impact on Friday, May 24 (7:00 p.m. PT; YouTube TV, Univision KVMD, ESPN 710 AM, 980 AM "La Mera Mera'). LAFC will look to extend its home unbeaten to eight matches in 2019 after starting the year with six wins and one draw at Banc of California Stadium.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 19, 2019
- LAFC and FC Dallas Draw 1-1 on Sunday Afternoon - Los Angeles FC
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 0, Colorado Rapids 1 - Sunday, May 19, 2019 - LA Galaxy
- Rapids Postgame Notes - Week 12 - Colorado Rapids
- Atlanta United's five-game winning streak snapped at Red Bull Arena - Atlanta United FC
- 10-Man Red Bulls Blank Atlanta United, 1-0 - New York Red Bulls
- Orlando City Defeats FC Cincinnati in First Ever Meeting - Orlando City SC
- Orlando City SC Blows out FC Cincinnati - FC Cincinnati
- Orlando City Defeats Expansion Side FC Cincinnati in First Ever Meeting - Orlando City SC
- FC Dallas Hosts Liga MX's Club Tijuana Xoloitzcuintles de Caliente in International Friendly on July 7 at Toyota Stadium - FC Dallas
- Breaking Down the XI | Back to Full Strength - Orlando City SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Los Angeles FC Stories
- LAFC Falls 3-2 against the Galaxy on Friday Night at Dignity Health Sports Park
- Los Angeles Football Club Partners with Satisfi Labs to Launch In-Stadium Order-Ahead on Apple Business Chat
- LAFC and Galaxy Face off on Friday Night at Dignity Health Sports Park
- LAFC Defeats Houston Dynamo 3-1 on Friday Evening
- LAFC Falls to Portland Timbers 1-0 in Quarterfinals of 2019 U.S. Open Cup