LAFC Acquires Dutch Goalkeeper Kenneth Vermeer
The Los Angeles Football Club (LAFC) announced today that it has acquired goalkeeper Kenneth Vermeer from Feyenoord of the Dutch Eredivisie using Targeted Allocation Money (TAM). Vermeer, 34, will occupy an international spot on the Club's roster pending receipt of his International Transfer Certificate (ITC) and P1 Visa.
"Kenneth is an experienced goalkeeper with an impressive track record of competing at the highest levels throughout his career," said LAFC EVP & General Manager John Thorrington. "We are confident that he will immediately fortify our goalkeeping core, and we look forward to welcoming him to the City of Los Angeles."
Following a 15-year career in the Netherlands' top flight, which includes over 280 appearances across all competitions for Ajax, Feyenoord and Willem II, Vermeer will join the Black & Gold as the Club continues its preparations ahead of its third campaign.
This past season, Vermeer played in 16 of Feyenoord's 18 league matches, posting a 8-3-6 record and helping the team secure a spot in the Europa League qualifiers. He appeared in all four qualifying matches, earning three shutouts, before seeing action in four of the six Europa League Group G contests. In all, the 34-year-old played in 25 out of a possible 29 matches in 2019, logging 2,250 minutes in net.
During six seasons with Feyenoord, Vermeer posted 40 shutouts in 133 matches, including appearances in the Europa League and Champions League. He led the team to the Eredivisie title in 2016-17, the KNVB Cup in 2015-16 and a pair of Johan Cruyff Shields (2017-18).
He also spent a brief loan stint during the 2017-18 campaign with Belgium's Club Brugge, posting a 3-1-3 record in league and postseason matches, while helping the side secure its 15th Jupiler Pro League title.
Vermeer made his professional debut during the 2006-07 UEFA Cup for Dutch side Ajax, playing 45 minutes of the 4-0 victory over IK Start. He spent the following season at Willem II Tilburg, playing in 16 of the team's 34 league matches, before returning to Ajax ahead of the 2008-09 campaign.
While at Ajax, Vermeer played in 103 league matches, nine UEFA Cup games, four Europa League games, and 13 Champions League contests, registering 50 shutouts in just under 12,300 minutes. He won four consecutive Eredivisie titles from 2010-14, the KNVB Cup in 2009-10, and the Johan Cruyff Shield in 2013.
Internationally, Vermeer has five caps for the Netherlands senior side, making his debut in a 0-0 draw against Germany on November 14, 2012. The following year, he shut out Estonia and Romania during the 2014 FIFA World Cup qualifiers. He also represented his country at all youth levels, winning the UEFA European U-21 Championship in 2006 and 2007.
TRANSACTION: Los Angeles Football Club (LAFC) acquires goalkeeper Kenneth Vermeer from Feyenoord using Targeted Allocation Money (TAM). Vermeer will occupy an international spot on the Club's roster pending receipt of his International Transfer Certificate (ITC) and P1 Visa.
Full Name: Kenneth Vermeer
Weight: 175 lbs.
Birthplace: Amsterdam, Netherlands
Last Club: Feyenoord Rotterdam
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 15, 2020
- LAFC Acquires Dutch Goalkeeper Kenneth Vermeer - Los Angeles FC
- Sounders FC Becomes Founding Partner of Seattle Chapter of Women in Sports and Events - Seattle Sounders FC
- Real Salt Lake Signs Homegrown Forward Milan Iloski - Real Salt Lake
- Houston Dynamo Announce 2020 Promotional Schedule - Houston Dynamo
- Flores, Loria, Paredes Called up for International Matches - Portland Timbers
- LA Galaxy Sign Goalkeeper Eric Lopez to Homegrown Player Contract - LA Galaxy
- D.C. United Announce 2020 Preseason Schedule - D.C. United
- Nashville SC Signs Tah Brian Anunga - Nashville SC
- LAFC Announces BODYARMOR as the Club'sofficial Sports Drink Partner - Los Angeles FC
- BODYARMOR Becomes Official Sports Drink of the New York Red Bulls - New York Red Bulls
- Earthquakes Announce 2020 Preseason Schedule - San Jose Earthquakes
- BODYARMOR, Kobe Bryant and MLS Players Kick off Major League Soccer Partnership - MLS
- BODYARMOR Becomes Official Sports Drink of D.C. United - D.C. United
- BODYARMOR Becomes Official Sports Drink of Inter Miami CF - Inter Miami CF
- BODYARMOR Becomes Official Sports Drink of Nashville SC - Nashville SC
- BODYARMOR Becomes Official Sports Drink of FC Cincinnati - FC Cincinnati
- BODYARMOR Becomes Official Sports Drink of Philadelphia Union - Philadelphia Union
- Revolution Hire 98.5 the Sports Hub Anchor Mike "Sarge" Riley as Public Address Announcer - New England Revolution
- Bodyarmor Becomes Official Sports Drink of Houston Dynamo - Houston Dynamo
- BODYARMOR Becomes Official Sports Drink of Chicago Fire FC - Chicago Fire
- Chicago Fire FC Announces Technical Staff Additions - Chicago Fire
- Impact Completes Permanent Transfer of Ballou Tabla - Montreal Impact
- D.C. United and Leidos Extend Presenting Partner Agreement - D.C. United
- 2020 FC Cincinnati Match Tickets Now Available to the Public - FC Cincinnati
- Whitecaps FC and Midfielder Jon Erice Mutually Agree to Part Ways - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Los Angeles FC Stories
- LAFC Falls to the Seattle Sounders FC 3-1 in First Round of Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs
- LAFC Travels to Face Seattle Sounders FC Tomorrow in Round One of the Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs
- LAFC Prepares for Playoffs with for Los Angeles Specials at L.A. Restaurants
- LAFC Collaborates with Postmates to Bring Gear to Fans' Doorsteps
- LAFC's Diego Rossi Named to 2020 MLS Best XI