LA Galaxy Sign Goalkeeper Eric Lopez to Homegrown Player Contract
LOS ANGELES - The LA Galaxy have signed goalkeeper Eric Lopez to a Homegrown Player contract from LA Galaxy II, the club announced today. Lopez, 20, joins after five seasons with Los Dos, where he became the youngest player to sign a contract in USL Championship.
"Eric has continued to progress as a person and a player during his time in our development system," said LA Galaxy General Manager Dennis te Kloese. "His success is a leading example of our youth structure providing a pathway to join the first team. After growing as a member of our Academy and LA Galaxy II, we are excited for Eric to represent our senior team and look forward to his contributions."
The Westminster, CA product has played for LA Galaxy II over the last five seasons in USL Championship, where he has been a mainstay in net, including being named LA Galaxy II Defender of the Year in 2017. Most recently, Lopez started 14 games during the 2019 season while recording 41 saves, including two penalty kicks.
Before signing with LA Galaxy II, Lopez featured at every level of the LA Galaxy Academy, playing with the LA Galaxy U-13's to the U-18's. He has also been named various U.S. Soccer Youth rosters and has frequently spent time training with the LA Galaxy first team in previous seasons.
In 2019, Lopez was named LA Galaxy II Humanitarian of the Year for his commitment to serving the Los Angeles community.
The five-time MLS Cup champion LA Galaxy's 2020 home opener is set for Saturday, March 7 at Dignity Health Sports Park against Vancouver Whitecaps FC at 7 p.m. PT. Fans can purchase tickets to the club's 2020 home opener. Single-game tickets to Galaxy home games are available on www.lagalaxy.com/tickets.
LA Galaxy Season Ticket Memberships for the 2020 season are available for purchase now. Galaxy fans can go to www.lagalaxy.com/tickets/seasontickets or call 1.877.3GALAXY (342.5299) to secure their 2020 LA Galaxy Season Ticket Memberships.
Transaction: LA Galaxy sign goalkeeper Eric Lopez to a Homegrown Player contract.
Name: Eric Lopez
Born: April 5, 1999
Last Club: LA Galaxy II (USL Championship)
Birthplace: Westminster, CA
Hometown: Westminster, CA
LA Galaxy Season Ticket Memberships for the 2020 Major League Soccer season are now available. Galaxy fans can go to lagalaxy.com/since96 to secure their 2020 LA Galaxy Season Ticket Memberships. Fans can also call 1.877.3GALAXY (342.5299) and press 2 when prompted to purchase memberships.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 15, 2020
- LAFC Acquires Dutch Goalkeeper Kenneth Vermeer - Los Angeles FC
- Sounders FC Becomes Founding Partner of Seattle Chapter of Women in Sports and Events - Seattle Sounders FC
- Real Salt Lake Signs Homegrown Forward Milan Iloski - Real Salt Lake
- Houston Dynamo Announce 2020 Promotional Schedule - Houston Dynamo
- Flores, Loria, Paredes Called up for International Matches - Portland Timbers
- LA Galaxy Sign Goalkeeper Eric Lopez to Homegrown Player Contract - LA Galaxy
- D.C. United Announce 2020 Preseason Schedule - D.C. United
- Nashville SC Signs Tah Brian Anunga - Nashville SC
- LAFC Announces BODYARMOR as the Club'sofficial Sports Drink Partner - Los Angeles FC
- BODYARMOR Becomes Official Sports Drink of the New York Red Bulls - New York Red Bulls
- Earthquakes Announce 2020 Preseason Schedule - San Jose Earthquakes
- BODYARMOR, Kobe Bryant and MLS Players Kick off Major League Soccer Partnership - MLS
- BODYARMOR Becomes Official Sports Drink of D.C. United - D.C. United
- BODYARMOR Becomes Official Sports Drink of Inter Miami CF - Inter Miami CF
- BODYARMOR Becomes Official Sports Drink of Nashville SC - Nashville SC
- BODYARMOR Becomes Official Sports Drink of FC Cincinnati - FC Cincinnati
- BODYARMOR Becomes Official Sports Drink of Philadelphia Union - Philadelphia Union
- Revolution Hire 98.5 the Sports Hub Anchor Mike "Sarge" Riley as Public Address Announcer - New England Revolution
- Bodyarmor Becomes Official Sports Drink of Houston Dynamo - Houston Dynamo
- BODYARMOR Becomes Official Sports Drink of Chicago Fire FC - Chicago Fire
- Chicago Fire FC Announces Technical Staff Additions - Chicago Fire
- Impact Completes Permanent Transfer of Ballou Tabla - Montreal Impact
- D.C. United and Leidos Extend Presenting Partner Agreement - D.C. United
- 2020 FC Cincinnati Match Tickets Now Available to the Public - FC Cincinnati
- Whitecaps FC and Midfielder Jon Erice Mutually Agree to Part Ways - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent LA Galaxy Stories
- LA Galaxy Launch TOGETHER AT HOME Campaign
- Major League Soccer Suspends Season for 30 Days
- LA Galaxy Announce 2020 Watch Party Schedule, Presented by Modelo
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes: LA Galaxy 0, Vancouver Whitecaps FC 1 - Saturday, March 7, 2020
- Grass Berm at Dignity Health Sports Park Returns for Saturday's LA Galaxy Home Opener