LA Galaxy Sign Forward Javier "Chicharito" HernÃÂ¡ndez
LOS ANGELES - The LA Galaxy have signed Javier "Chicharito" HernÃ¡ndez to a Designated Player contract, the club announced today. HernÃ¡ndez, 31, is Mexico's all-time leading goal scorer and joins the LA Galaxy following time with Chivas de Guadalajara, Manchester United, Real Madrid, Bayer Leverkusen, West Ham and most recently, Sevilla. In all, the forward has tallied over 200 goals during his career for both club and country.
Fans can purchase an LA Galaxy Chicharito jersey now.
"Javier has consistently scored goals in top leagues throughout the world and has been his country's most successful player over the last decade," said LA Galaxy General Manager Dennis te Kloese. "He is a competitor who has proven success at the highest level and has scored the most goals ever of one of the best teams in Concacaf. We think he can be one of Major League Soccer's best attacking threats and help our team in multiple ways. We are excited to bring Javier to Los Angeles and we look forward to him representing this city and our fans as a member of the LA Galaxy."
Throughout his career, HernÃ¡ndez has appeared in over 400 matches across top-flight leagues in Mexico, England, Spain and Germany in addition to appearing in over 100 matches for Mexico. During that time, he has tallied 156 goals for club and 52 goals for country, the most of any Mexico International. Since 2006, he has represented sides that have captured two Premier League titles (2011, 2013), the Mexican Primera DivisiÃ³n: Apertura (2006), the FIFA Club World Cup (2014), the Concacaf Gold Cup (2011) and Concacaf Cup (2015). Individually, he has been honored as Concacaf Men's Player of the Year (2015), Concacaf Best XI (2015) and Concacaf Gold Cup Golden Boot and MVP (2011) and was named to the Bundesliga Team of the Season (2015-16).
"The LA Galaxy continue to pursue top talent across the world that will improve our team," said LA Galaxy President Chris Klein. "Javier is one of most successful players in our region and an iconic figure in this community. The LA Galaxy have represented Los Angeles and have been the benchmark in Major League Soccer since 1996, and our pursuit of the world's best players for our club will continue to play a part in our success. We are excited to add Javier to our club and look forward to him representing the LA Galaxy in our stadium and in the Los Angeles community."
HernÃ¡ndez began his career as a professional with Chivas Guadalajara in 2006 after nearly a decade in their youth system. After scoring 26 goals for the Liga MX side, he secured a transfer to the Premier League with Manchester United in 2010.
"AEG remains committed to providing the LA Galaxy with every resource needed to compete for MLS Cups and make Dignity Health Sports Park a world-class stadium and experience for our fans," said AEG President and CEO Dan Beckerman. "Javier is a landmark signing for our club and this league, highlighting our ambition to continue to be the best in Major League Soccer. We are thrilled to welcome him to our family and are excited to see him on the field this season and beyond."
After scoring 59 goals with Manchester United across all competitions, the forward joined La Liga giant Real Madrid on loan in 2014. The following season, HernÃ¡ndez made a permanent transfer to Bundesliga side Bayer Leverkusen, where he enjoyed some of the most productive years of his career with 39 goals in 76 appearances. He rounded out his time before joining LA with stints at West Ham in England (2017-19) and Sevilla in Spain (2019).
Internationally, the Guadalajara product has produced the most successful career in El Tri history, with 52 goals in 109 appearances across the FIFA World Cup (2010, 2014, 2018), FIFA World Cup Qualifying matches, Concacaf Gold Cup, FIFA Confederations Cup, Copa América Centenario and friendly contests. He made his Mexico debut in 2009 during a match against Colombia and scored his first two goals for Mexico in a match against Bolivia on Feb. 24, 2010. Across three separate FIFA World Cup tournaments, HernÃ¡ndez boasts four goals, in addition to eight goals during FIFA World Cup Qualifying matches. His 52 international goals surpass Jared Borgetti (46), Cuauhtémoc Blanco (39) and former LA Galaxy players Luis HernÃ¡ndez (35) and Carlos Hermosillo (35).
Chicharito and the five-time MLS Cup champion LA Galaxy's 2020 home opener is set for Saturday, March 7 at Dignity Health Sports Park against Vancouver Whitecaps FC at 7 p.m. PT. Fans can purchase tickets to the club's 2020 home opener. Single-game tickets to Galaxy home games are available on www.lagalaxy.com/tickets.
LA Galaxy Season Ticket Memberships for the 2020 season are available for purchase now. Galaxy fans can go to www.lagalaxy.com/tickets/seasontickets or call 1.877.3GALAXY (342.5299) to secure their 2020 LA Galaxy Season Ticket Memberships.
Transaction: LA Galaxy sign forward Javier HernÃ¡ndez to a Designated Player contract.
Name: Javier HernÃ¡ndez
Born: June 1, 1988
Last Club: Sevilla (Spain)
Birthplace: Guadalajara, Mexico
Hometown: Guadalajara, Mexico
JAVIER "CHICHARITO" HERNÃNDEZ
Years Team Appearances Goals Assists
2006-2010 Chivas de Guadalajara 78 29 11
2010-2015 Manchester United 157 59 11
2014-2015 Real Madrid 33 9 9
2015-2017 Bayer Leverkusen 76 39 9
2017-2019 West Ham 63 17 4
2019 Sevilla 15 3 -
-- CLUB TOTAL 422 156 53
-2009 Mexico 109 52 13
-- CLUB/COUNTRY TOTAL 531 208 69
LA Galaxy Season Ticket Memberships for the 2020 Major League Soccer season are now available. Galaxy fans can go to lagalaxy.com/since96 or call 1.877.3GALAXY (342.5299) to secure their 2020 LA Galaxy Season Ticket Memberships.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 21, 2020
- Sounders FC's CONCACAF Champions League Match at CD Olimpia on February 20 Moved to San Pedro Sula - Seattle Sounders FC
- Atlanta United Acquires Adam Jahn from Phoenix Rising - Atlanta United FC
- LAFC to Host Third Annual Job Fair for Banc of California Stadium Employees - Los Angeles FC
- Timbers Set to Travel to Costa Rica for 2020 Preseason - Portland Timbers
- Whitecaps FC Acquire Ghanaian Midfielder Leonard Owusu from Israeli Premier League Side FC Ashdod - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Atlanta United Acquires up to $1.1 Million in Allocation Money from D.C. United - Atlanta United FC
- D.C. United Acquires Atlanta United Midfielder Julian Gressel for $750,000 in TAM - D.C. United
- FC Cincinnati Loan Goalkeeper Ben Lundt to Louisville City FC - FC Cincinnati
- Real Salt Lake Signs Defender Ashtone Morgan - Real Salt Lake
- FC Dallas Signs Liga MX Forward Franco Jara - FC Dallas
- LA Galaxy Sign Forward Javier "Chicharito" HernÃÂ¡ndez - LA Galaxy
- New York Red Bulls Bring Back Josh Sims on Loan - New York Red Bulls
- Dynamo Charities Host Grand Opening for Mini Pitches at Herman Brown Park - Houston Dynamo
- Toronto FC Sign Defender Rocco Romeo - Toronto FC
- FC Dallas Trades Jacori Hayes to Minnesota United FC - FC Dallas
- MNUFC Acquires Midfielder Jacori Hayes in Trade with FC Dallas - Minnesota United FC
- FC Cincinnati Foundation Announces Second-Annual Served by the Pros Fundraiser - FC Cincinnati
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent LA Galaxy Stories
- 2021 LA Galaxy Season Ticket Memberships Now Available
- Four Additional LA Galaxy Players Depart for International Duty
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes and Quotes: LA Galaxy 0, Vancouver Whitecaps FC 3
- LA Galaxy Midfielder Sebastian Lletget Added to USMNT Roster
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes and Quotes: LA Galaxy 1, Seattle Sounders FC 1 - Wednesday, November 4, 2020