LA Galaxy ready for SuperClasico, expecting the best from Chivas USA
CARSON, Calif. - It was back in mid-March when the LA Galaxy took on Chivas USA, a team they knew almost nothing about, in the first SuperClasico of 2013.
At the time, Chivas USA were boasting a new coach in Jose Luis Sanchez Sola, a number of new players and featured an ultra-aggressive style of soccer that resulted in a chippy 1-1 tie with the two-time defending MLS Cup champions.
Three months removed from that first meeting, the Galaxy (6-6-3, 21 points) will face a Chivas USA (3-9-2, 11 points) side that feature a new coach, an ever-changing roster and a new, more orthodox style of play. After a bright start to the season, Chivas USA have struggled over the last two and a half months, relieving Sola of his duties in late May and replacing him with interim coach Sacha van der Most before Jose Luis Real was officially introduced on June 13 as the club's new head coach.
After losing 3-1 to Vancouver on Wednesday night in Real's debut - a loss that extended their winless streak to nine games - Chivas USA head into Sunday's second leg of the SuperClasico at StubHub Center (8 p.m., UniMas, Time Warner Cable Sportsnet, AM 1150, 1330 AM, LIVECHAT) as a club in disarray.
VIEWING PARTY INFO
But despite those recent results, Galaxy players are not overlooking their rival by any means.
"From my experience, these games are the most dangerous ones," said Galaxy goalkeeper Carlo Cudicini, coming off his fifth shutout of the season in a scoreless draw against the Portland Timbers on Wednesday. "You have to be prepared mentally more than physically. We cannot make mistakes, especially after a good draw on Wednesday night. We need to pick up some points. We need to keep our level of concentration.
"This could be a tricky one."
Chivas USA, in last place in the Western Conference, have scored just four goals in their nine-game winless streak, conceding 22 times in that span and allowing more than a single goal in each of the last seven games. They are 0-8-1 during that streak, taking just one of a possible 27 points. The lone draw came back on April 27 when they played to a 2-2 draw with the San Jose Earthquakes. Chivas have not won a league game since beating Vancouver Whitecaps FC 2-1 at home on March 30.
Galaxy head coach Bruce Arena admitted he hasn't kept up much with Chivas USA this season, but expects them to give the Galaxy a battle, regardless of who is in the lineup.
"I haven't followed them that much," he said. "There's a little bit of roster turnover, which I can't figure out anyway. This will be the coach's second game; there's not a whole lot of history there.
"Regardless of what has happened previous to our game, this is the game of the year for them. One would predict they're going to play with a lot of emotion and be quite competitive regardless of who they play and how they play."
While the home side's lineup is an unknown, the Galaxy are expected to welcome central midfielder Marcelo Sarvas and central defender Omar Gonzalez back into the team. Sarvas was suspended for Wednesday night's 0-0 draw with Portland, missing a league game for the first time this year. Gonzalez, after playing five games over the last four weeks with the U.S. National Team, returned to training on Friday and the duo said that they are excited to get back onto the field against their StubHub Center co-tenants.
If Gonzalez does return, he will likely be paired alongside A.J. DeLaGarza, who expects Chivas USA to throw everything into Sunday night's SuperClasico.
"You're playing a team that just got a new head coach, they're kind of at the bottom of the table. We're not overlooking Chivas at all," defender A.J. DeLaGarza said. "We know we're going to get their best."
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 21, 2013
- Gonzalez returns from international duty eager to help LA Galaxy return to winning ways - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Purdy, a Leader with El Salvador - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Sporting Kansas City Hits the Road to Face FC Dallas - Sporting Kansas City
- LA Galaxy ready for SuperClasico, expecting the best from Chivas USA - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Houston Dynamo to host Toronto FC tomorrow night with tribute to Houston's fallen firefighters Limit - Houston Dynamo
- Black & Gold by the Numbers - Columbus Crew SC
- MLS Match Preview: Crew vs. Fire - Columbus Crew SC
- Crew's Gaven to Undergo Knee Surgery - Columbus Crew SC
- Impact U21 Faces Haitian National Team Saturday at Stade Saputo - Montreal Impact
- Rapids Announce Details for 4thFest and Military Appreciation Night on July 4 and 7 - Colorado Rapids
- Less Than 500 Tickets Remain for Saturday's Match vs. Toronto FC - Houston Dynamo
- Real Salt Lake vs. Sounders FC - Match Preview - Real Salt Lake
- Toronto FC Update - Toronto FC
- Union to Face Barclays Premier League's Stoke City FC July 30 at PPL Park - Philadelphia Union
- Anor Helps Teammates With Injuries - Columbus Crew SC
- Galaxy Academy U-12Ã¢ÂÂS and U-13Ã¢ÂÂS Take Swallows Cup - Los Angeles Galaxy
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.