LA Galaxy Forward Chicharito Headlines eMLS Tournament Special
LOS ANGELES - LA Galaxy forward Javier "Chicharito" Hernandez and eMLS athlete Giuseppe Guastella will lead the way in an eMLS Tournament Special presented by Coca-Cola and PlayStation that will debut on Sunday, April 19 on FS1 and FOX Deportes at 4 p.m. PT.
The tournament, announced today by Major League Soccer and FOX Sports, comes as a part of MLS Unites, a league-wide platform designed to educate communities, entertain fans and elevate heroic efforts taking place during the COVID-19 pandemic. The series will be hosted by FOX Sports Stu Holden, Rachel Bonnetta and Rodolfo Landeros, with color commentary from Mike LaBelle.
"The eMLS Tournament Special represents the spirit of MLS Unites by entertaining fans and giving back to our communities," said Camilo Durana, MLS SVP of Properties and Events. "We're thrilled many of the league's top players are joining our eMLS participants to compete and also provide benefit for those on the front lines. We are also thankful to FOX Sports and all of our partners for their collaboration on the innovative series that will be both fun to watch and make a difference."
Each Sunday at 4 p.m. PT the five-episode series will team up MLS players and eMLS players from the same MLS clubs in single-elimination EA SPORTS FIFA 20 tournaments. The Week One Tournament pits the Chicago Fire against FC Cincinnati before the Galaxy take the stage.
"We are thrilled to partner with MLS on this innovative project, which will entertain viewers during this difficult time while also helping to support COVID 19 relief efforts," said Joe Franzetta, FOX Sports VP, Rights & Business Relationships. "With the perfect combination of the talented team hosting the event and the fan-favorite MLS and eMLS players, it will be exciting to watch this series come to life."
The opening match this Sunday, April 19 will showcase two Costa Rican National Team defenders on opposite ends of the digital pitch as Chicago Fire's Francisco Calvo faces off against FC Cincinnati's Kendall Waston in the first leg. The second leg sees FC Cincinnati's eMLS competitor Gordon Thornsberry, currently ranked 30th in the world on PS4 in the EA SPORTS FIFA 20 Global Series against Chicago Fire's Enrique Espinoza. Espinoza truly blurs the digital and the physical pitch by representing Chicago Fire as their eMLS competitor while also coaching for the Chicago Fire Juniors City youth club.
Meanwhile, the LA Galaxy matchup focuses on the attacking side of the pitch with LA Galaxy's newest striker and Mexican International Javier "Chicharito" Hernandez against LAFC's Adama Diomande in Leg One of Week One's second matchup. Leg Two features Galaxy's Giuseppe Guastella, a 5-time finalist in the FIFA eWorld Cup, and LAFC's eMLS player, Martin Oregel.
In the coming weeks, D.C. United's Paul Arriola, New England Revolution's Diego Fagundez, Minnesota United's Tyler Miller, Sporting Kansas City's Wan Kuzain, New York Red Bulls Aaron Long, NYCFC's Sean Johnson, FC Dallas' Fafa Picault, Houston Dynamo's Memo Rodriguez, Vancouver Whitecaps Erik Godoy, Toronto FC's Marky Delgado, Atlanta United's Franco Escobar and Orlando City's Nani will compete in the tournament.
After each episode, MLS WORKS, the league's social responsibility platform, and FOX Sports will make a donation on behalf of the winning club to Feeding America, with MLS also supporting Food Banks Canada.
Each episode will take place on an entirely remote basis with MLS and eMLS players competing from their home and will feature four different clubs competing to win. Matches will be two legs, with the MLS players playing the first leg and the eMLS professional FIFA players competing against each other in the second leg. The best aggregate score will move on. The four winning teams from the first four episodes will qualify to participate in the fifth and final eMLS Tournament Special on Sunday, May 17 and a champion will be crowned.
Through eMLS Tournament Special and other programs, Major League Soccer is proud to support EA's "Stay Home. Play Together." Initiatives, helping the gaming community find more ways to connect through play during a time where people need to be physically apart. To learn more, you can follow #stayandplay on Twitter and Instagram or check out https://www.ea.com/en-ca/stay-and-play for upcoming activities and livestreams.
EA SPORTS, Coca-Cola, PlayStation, Cheez-It, Pringles, and Scuf Gaming are all official partners of the 2020 eMLS season and the eMLS Tournament Special.
Be sure to follow @eMLS on Twitter for the latest updates on the eMLS Tournament Special, produced in partnership with Engine Shop.
"PlayStation" is a registered trademark or trademark of Sony Interactive Entertainment Inc.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from April 13, 2020
- Isolation Inspiration: How Guppy's Soccer Mantra Can Help Players During Lockdown - Nashville SC
- MLS Unites to Inspire Kids - MLS
- Chicharito & Diomande Star in El Trafico and MLS Unites to Inspire Kids: This Week in MLS - MLS
- Inter Miami CF Players to Participate in Twitch Rivals Sportsworld Ft. Fortnite for Charity - Inter Miami CF
- Aaron Long to Represent New York Red Bulls in eMLS Tournament Special on FS1 and Fox Deportes - New York Red Bulls
- Erik Godoy and Alex 'Exraa' Gonzalez-Aldana to Represent Whitecaps FC in eMLS Tournament Special - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Major League Soccer and FOX Sports Launch eMLS Tournament Special - Atlanta United FC
- FC Dallas Midfielder Fafa Picault to Represent FC Dallas in Major League Soccer and FOX Sports EMLS Tournament Special - FC Dallas
- Chicago Fire FC Defender Francisco Calvo and eMLS Competitor Enrique Espinoza to Participate in eMLS Tournament Special on Sunday - Chicago Fire
- Houston Dynamo Join Major League Soccer and FOX Sports for eMLS Tournament Special on FS1 and FOX Deportes - Houston Dynamo
- Kuzain to Compete in eMLS Tournament Special - Sporting Kansas City
- LA Galaxy Forward Chicharito Headlines eMLS Tournament Special - LA Galaxy
- Orlando City Forward Nani and eMLS Competitor FIFA Abe Join Major League Soccer and FOX Sports in eMLS Tournament Special - Orlando City SC
- Major League Soccer and FOX Sports Launch eMLS Tournament Special Sunday, April 19 on FS1 and FOX Deportes - MLS
- Revolution Midfielder Diego Fagundez and eMLS Competitor John Oliveira to Compete in eMLS Tournament Special - New England Revolution
- Columbus Crew SC's Broadcast Schedule of Re-Airs: April 13-19 - Columbus Crew SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent LA Galaxy Stories
- LA Galaxy Name Kevin Hartman Director of the LA Galaxy Academy
- LA Galaxy to Host Drive-In Watch Party at the Rose Bowl Stadium on July 13 for Opening Match in MLS Is Back Tournament
- LA Galaxy to Feature Herbalife Nutrition and Dignity Health on Jersey Sleeves During MLS Is Back Tournament
- LA Galaxy Midfielder Jonathan dos Santos to Miss MLS Is Back Tournament in Orlando Due to Injury
- LA Galaxy Add Juninho and Marcelo Sarvas to LA Galaxy Academy Coaching Staff