LA Galaxy Defender Julian Araujo Added to U.S. 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup Roster
LOS ANGELES - LA Galaxy defender Julian Araujo has been added to the 21-player roster for the World Cup after U.S. forward Ayo Akinola has been ruled out of the 2019 FIFA Under-20 World Cup due to an ankle injury.
Per regulations, an injured player may be replaced on the roster up to 24 hours prior to a team's opening match. The replacement must come from the 50-player provisional roster and approved by the tournament medical committee.
Araujo was a part of the U.S. squad that won the 2018 Concacaf Under-20 Championship last November, picking up an assist in two group stage starts. Most recently, the 17-year-old played in two friendlies for the U-23 MNT against Egypt and Netherlands in March.
For the LA Galaxy, the Academy product has become a regular contributor this season, logging 289 minutes in five appearances after signing with the first team this offseason.
The USA kicks off the U-20 World Cup on Friday, May 24 against Ukraine (11:30 a.m. PT; FS1, Universo), faces Nigeria on Monday, May 27 (11:30 a.m. PT; FS1, Universo) and wraps up the group stage on Thursday, May 30 vs. Qatar (11:30 a.m. PT; FS2, Universo).
2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup Roster by Position (Club; Hometown; U-20 Caps/Goals)
GOALKEEPERS (3): CJ Dos Santos (Benfica/POR; Foxchase, Pa.; 2/0), David Ochoa (Real Salt Lake; Oxnard, Calif.; 4/0), Brady Scott (Köln/GER; Petaluma, Calif.; 9/0)
DEFENDERS (7): Julian Araujo (LA Galaxy; Lompoc, Calif.; 2/0), Sergino Dest (Ajax/NED; Almere-Stad, Netherlands; 8/1), Chris Gloster (Hannover 96/GER; Montclair, N.J.; 11/0), Aboubacar Keita (Richmond Kickers; Columbus, Ohio; 2/0), Mark McKenzie (Philadelphia Union; Bear, Del.; 10/3), Matthew Real (Philadelphia Union; Drexel Hill, Pa.; 10/0), Chris Richards (Bayern Munich/GER; Birmingham, Ala.; 8/0)
MIDFIELDERS (6): Edwin Cerrillo (FC Dallas; Frisco, Texas; 0/0), Chris Durkin (D.C. United; Glen Allen, Va.; 2/0), Richard Ledezma (PSV Eindhoven/NED; Phoenix, Ariz.; 4/0), Alex Mendez (Freiburg/GER; Los Angeles, Calif.; 15/8), Paxton Pomykal (FC Dallas; Highland Village, Texas; 9/3), Brandon Servania (FC Dallas; Dallas, Texas; 8/2)
FORWARDS (5): Konrad De La Fuente (Barcelona/ESP; Miami, Fla.; 2/1), Ulysses Llanez (Wolfsburg/GER; Lynwood, Calif.; 11/7), Justin Rennicks (New England Revolution; South Hamilton, Mass.; 13/6), Sebastian Soto (Hannover 96/GER; San Diego, Calif.; 5/2), Tim Weah (Celtic FC/SCO; Rosedale, N.Y.; 0/0)
LA Galaxy Season Ticket Membership deposits for the 2020 Major League Soccer season are now available. Galaxy fans can go to www.lagalaxy.com/tickets/deposits to place their 2020 LA Galaxy Season Ticket Membership deposit for $50 per seat. In addition to visiting www.lagalaxy.com/tickets/deposits, fans can place their 2020 Season Ticket Membership deposit at the Dignity Health Sports Park by visiting Galaxy HQ at any LA Galaxy home game. Fans can also call 1.877.3GALAXY (342.5299) and press 2 when prompted to place Season Ticket Membership deposits.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 22, 2019
- MNUFC Depth on Display in 1-0 Loss to Hertha Berlin - Minnesota United FC
- D.C. United Fall to Real Betis 5-2 in a Friendly at Audi Field - D.C. United
- Red Bulls and Vancouver End in 2-2 Draw - New York Red Bulls
- 'Caps earn another road point in exciting match versus New York Red Bulls - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Atlanta United Named 'Sports Team of the Year' at 2019 Sports Business Awards - Atlanta United FC
- The Goal King: Chris Wondolowski Cements His Place in MLS History: Week 13 MLS News & Notes - MLS
- Chicago Fire Midfielder PrzemysÅ?aw Frankowski Called up to Poland National Team - Chicago Fire FC
- Game on Saturday, June 1 at Stade Saputo Moved to 5pm - Club de Foot Montreal
- Major League Soccer Celebrates Soccer for All Month - MLS
- Major League Soccer Celebrates Soccer for All Month - D.C. United
- Major League Soccer Celebrates Soccer for All Month - Orlando City SC
- Mexican National Team Members and Award-Winning Singer Luis Coronel to Headline Fan Fest at Inaugural MexTour Live in Dallas on June 7 - FC Dallas
- Know Your Opponent | LA Galaxy - Orlando City SC
- Sebas Mendez Called up to Ecuador's Copa America Squad - Orlando City SC
- LA Galaxy Defender Julian Araujo Added to U.S. 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup Roster - LA Galaxy
- Chad Marshall Announces Retirement from Professional Soccer - Seattle Sounders FC
- Eryk Williamson Called into Combined Preparation Camp with U.S. Men's National Team Roster - Portland Timbers
- Philadelphia Union Sign Defender Jack Elliott to New Contract - Philadelphia Union
- OSC Weekly Ratings Wrapup - OSC Original by David Carlson
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent LA Galaxy Stories
- Proof of Vaccination Or Negative COVID-19 Test Result Required for LA Galaxy Home Matches Beginning October 16
- Seven LA Galaxy Players Called up for International Duty
- LA Galaxy and LAFC Issue Joint Statement
- LA Galaxy Battle LAFC to 1-1 Draw at Dignity Health Sports Park on Sunday Night
- LA Galaxy to Unveil Landon Donovan Statue at Dignity Health Sports Park on Sunday, October 3