Kuzain and Lindsey Named to MLS Homegrown Game Roster
Sporting Kansas City defender Jaylin Lindsey and midfielder Wan Kuzain Wan Kamal have been named to the roster for the 2018 MLS Homegrown Game presented by Energizer, Major League Soccer announced on Thursday.
Lindsey and Kuzain will join the MLS Homegrown Team to face the Tigres UANL U-20s in the fifth annual MLS Homegrown Game on July 31 at 7 p.m. CT. The match will take place at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta Training Ground as part of a week of events during 2018 MLS All-Star Atlanta. In addition to airing live nationally on Univision Deportes Network, the MLS Homegrown Game will stream live on Twitter for the first time ever.
Lindsey and Kuzain will be the third and fourth players in Sporting KC history to compete in the MLS Homegrown Game, joining former goalkeeper Jon Kempin and former defender Erik Palmer-Brown. Atlanta United Academy Director Tony Annan will coach the MLS Homegrown Team, which consists of 20 Homegrown Players from 14 different clubs.
Lindsey, 18, has started six of seven appearances for Sporting KC in all competitions since debuting in a 4-1 win over Minnesota United FC on June 3. The defender has seen action at left back and right back and played the full 90 minutes in both of Sporting KC's victories in the Lamar Hunt U.S. Open Cup.
A product of the Sporting KC Academy, Lindsey became the third-youngest player in club history when he signed an MLS contract last September at age 17. He has been a youth international since 2013, representing the United States at the U-14, U-15 and U-17 levels. The Charlotte, North Carolina, native was selected to the 2017 CONCACAF U-17 Championship Best XI last summer after guiding the U.S. to a second-place finish at the tournament, then helped the Americans to the quarterfinals of the 2017 FIFA U-17 World Cup before falling to eventual champions England.
Kuzain, 19, has recorded one goal and one assist while starting five of eight competitive appearances for Sporting KC this season. He debuted in a 0-0 draw versus Columbus Crew SC on May 27 and scored his first professional goal six days later against Minnesota United FC, becoming the club's second-youngest goal scorer in the MLS regular season. Kuzain added his first assist to fellow Homegrown Player Daniel Salloi in a 3-2 Open Cup victory over FC Dallas on June 23.
Born to Malaysian parents in Carbondale, Illinois, Kuzain became the first Sporting KC Homegrown Player to progress from the Academy to the Swope Park Rangers to the senior team when he signed on April 13. He joined the Academy in 2016 and split time between the Rangers and the Sporting KC U-18s prior to breaking into the first team this spring.
Held the night before the 2018 MLS All-Star Game presented by Target - which will feature Sporting KC duo Ilie Sanchez and Graham Zusi facing Italian powerhouse Juventus at Mercedes-Benz Stadium in Atlanta - the MLS Homegrown Game provides an opportunity to showcase Major League Soccer's burgeoning young talent and demonstrate the growth of the league's youth development system. MLS academies continue to attract and cultivate top-flight prospects and have now produced over 170 Homegrown Players who have signed professional contracts with MLS clubs.
Tickets for the MLS Homegrown Game, starting at $15, may be purchased on Ticketmaster.com and include entrance to the Special Olympics Unified Sports® All-Star Soccer Match presented by MLS WORKS and ESPN, held immediately prior at Children's Healthcare of Atlanta Training Ground.
The MLS Homegrown Game is the latest initiative between Major League Soccer and Liga MX after the two leagues announced an increased partnership in March, including a focus on youth development highlighted by an annual showcase match.
Joining a list of formidable opponents to participate in the MLS Homegrown Game, Tigres UANL's U-20 team captured the Liga MX Under-20 title in May and features numerous players that have received time with both the Tigres reserve squad and the first team side that has lifted the Liga MX title in three of the last six tournaments.
2018 MLS Homegrown Team Roster
Goalkeepers (2): JT Marcinkowski (San Jose Earthquakes), Sean Melvin (Vancouver Whitecaps FC)
Defenders (7): Reggie Cannon (FC Dallas), Marco Farfan (Portland Timbers), Jaylin Lindsey (Sporting Kansas City), Mark McKenzie (Philadelphia Union), Matthew Real (Philadelphia Union), James Sands (New York City FC), Auston Trusty (Philadelphia Union)
Midfielders (9): Efrain Alvarez (LA Galaxy), Chris Durkin (D.C. United), Anthony Fontana (Philadelphia Union), Liam Fraser (Toronto FC), Lagos Kunga (Atlanta United), Wan Kuzain Wan Kamal (Sporting Kansas City), Cameron Lindley (Orlando City SC), Paxton Pomykal (FC Dallas), Sebastian Saucedo (Real Salt Lake)
Forwards (2): Andrew Carleton (Atlanta United), Ben Mines (New York Red Bulls)
Sporting KC's MLS Homegrown Game Participants
Year Players Result
2014 GK Jon Kempin T 0-0 vs. Portland Timbers U-23s
D Erik Palmer-Brown
2015 D Erik Palmer-Brown (2) T 1-1 (lost 4-5 in PKs) vs. Club America U-20s
2016 None L 0-2 vs. Mexico MNT U-20s
2017 D Erik Palmer-Brown (3) T 2-2 vs. Chivas de Guadalajara U-20s
2018 D Jaylin Lindsey vs. Tigres UANL U-20s
M Wan Kuzain Wan Kamal
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from July 12, 2018
- Timbers Weekly Update: July 12, 2018 - Portland Timbers
- Kerri Walsh Jennings' Event Series p1440 Announces Avaya Stadium as San Jose Venue - San Jose Earthquakes
- LA Galaxy Foundation to Co-Host First Street Soccer USA Cup - Los Angeles - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Real Salt Lake Partners with Purple - Real Salt Lake
- Earthquakes Goalkeeper JT Marcinkowski Selected to 2018 MLS Homegrown Game Roster - San Jose Earthquakes
- Andrew Carleton, Lagos Kunga Named to 2018 MLS Homegrown Roster - Atlanta United FC
- Sean Melvin Named to MLS Homegrown Game Roster - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Liam Fraser Named to the 2018 MLS Homegrown Game - Toronto FC
- Timbers Defender Marco Farfan Named to Roster for 2018 MLS Homegrown Game - Portland Timbers
- LA Galaxy Midfielder Efrain Alvarez Named to Roster for 2018 MLS Homegrown Game Presented by Energizer - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Ben Mines Selected to Play in MLS Homegrown Game Presented by Energizer - New York Red Bulls
- Kuzain and Lindsey Named to MLS Homegrown Game Roster - Sporting Kansas City
- Real Salt Lake FW Sebastian Saucedo Named to the 2018 MLS Homegrown Game - Real Salt Lake
- Reggie Cannon and Paxton Pomykal Named to 2018 MLS Homegrown Game Presented by Energizer - FC Dallas
- U.S., Mexico and Canada Youth National Team Stars Highlight Roster for 2018 MLS Homegrown Game Presented by Energizer - MLS
- Four Philadelphia Union Players Named to 2018 MLS Homegrown Game Roster - Philadelphia Union
- LAFC Transfers Defender Omar Gaber to Egyptian Side Pyramids FC - Los Angeles FC
- Chicago Fire Signs Argentine Defender NicolÃ¡s Del Grecco - Chicago Fire
- Match Preview: New York and Sporting Kansas Square off on Saturday - New York Red Bulls
- Chicago Fire Fall 4-3 to Philadelphia Union - Chicago Fire
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sporting Kansas City Stories
- Sporting KC Falls 2-0 in Philadelphia
- Preview: First-Place Sporting KC Visits Philadelphia Union on Sunday
- Sporting KC Back in First Place with 5-1 Road Win
- Sporting KC Set for Saturday Showdown in San Jose
- Sporting KC Ousts Orlando 1-0 to Take Second Place in West