Kremer Strong in Win over Ports on Wednesday
Stockton, CA - Pitching in his hometown of Stockton, Dean Kremer allowed a lone run over six strong innings for the Quakes, while the offense backed him in a 6-3 victory over the Ports on Wednesday night.
After Kremer departed in the sixth, a five-hit, three-run seventh inning proved the decider in the Quakes' first win of the season at Banner Island Ballpark.
Gavin Lux tripled himself into scoring position to begin the seventh and quickly scored on a Rylan Bannon single. The following hitter, Cristian Santana, hit a two-run home run to right field, giving the Quakes a 6-1 lead.
Stockton's Melvin Mercedes hit a two-run home run off Rancho reliever Stetson Allie in the bottom of the seventh to cut the Rancho lead to 6-3.
Logan Salow slowed Stockton's offense over the final frames, striking out the side in the eighth and pitching around a one-out single in the ninth. The left-hander retired six of seven hitters faced while cruising to his first save of the year.
The Quakes never trailed on Wednesday night and opened the scoring on back-to-back RBI doubles from Omar Estevez and Cody Thomas in the fourth, giving Rancho a 2-0 lead.
Following Steve Berman's first career home run in the sixth inning, Kremer closed out the sixth with a pair of strikeouts and departed the contest with a 3-1 lead. Kremer (2-2) allowed just three hits and struck out seven en route to his second win on the season.
Ports' starting pitcher Zack Erwin allowed the two runs in the fourth inning and was saddled with the loss in game two of the series.
Following a win on Wednesday night, the Quakes now sit in third place in the California League South Division at 18-22 on the year.
Rancho's victory forces a rubber-match on Thursday in the final game of the set, scheduled for an 11:10 AM first pitch. The Quakes will station Chris Mathewson (1-0, 7.00 ERA) on the mound for his first start of the season. Mathewson will be opposed by Stockton right-hander Jake Bray (1-1, 2.36 ERA).
Following Thursday's matchup, the Quakes return to LoanMart Field for the start of a three-game series hosting the Lake Elsinore Storm. On Friday, the first 1,500 fans in attendance will receive a Cody Bellinger NL Rookie of the Year bobblehead thanks to our friends at San Manuel Casino. Tickets are still available at rcquakes.com or by calling (909)-481-5000.
• Discuss this story on the California League message board...
California League Stories from May 17, 2018
- Arms Dominate, Bats Deliver Late in 6-3 Win - Modesto Nuts
- Big Inning Dooms Giants in 6-3 Loss - San Jose Giants
- Ports Edge Quakes 2-1 for Series Win - Stockton Ports
- Rancho Finishes Road Trip Thursday, Back Home with Bellinger Bobblheads on Friday - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
- Everybody Hits in 66ers 6-3 Win at Lake Elsinore - Inland Empire 66ers
- Quakes Bats Sink Ports 6-3 - Stockton Ports
- Kremer Strong in Win over Ports on Wednesday - Rancho Cucamonga Quakes
- Late Run Lifts Giants to 3-2 Victory - San Jose Giants
- Eighth-Inning Double Sends Nuts to 3-2 Loss - Modesto Nuts
- Fernandez Homers Twice In Win Over Rawhide - Lancaster JetHawks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rancho Cucamonga Quakes Stories
- Quakes Named 2018 Cal League Organization of the Year
- Quakes Are Cal League Champions
- Quakes One Win Away After Hammering Visalia
- Quakes Win Game 1 in Visalia
- Quakes Advance to Championship Series