Komets Snag Kelly Cup Champ Goalie Lukas Hafner; Forward Kevin Miller Also Added to Preseason Roster
Fort Wayne, IN - The Komets announced Monday that they have added two players to the 2018-19 preseason roster. Goaltender Lukas Hafner has agreed to terms and becomes the first goalie to be added to the roster. Also center Kevin Miller has signed for the upcoming campaign.
Hafner, 26, completed three years of juniors in 2011-12 appearing in 48 games with Cornwall in the CCHL, leading the league with a 2.11 goals-against average and a league-best .929 save percentage earning a spot on the CCHL Second all-Star Team. In 2015-16 Hafner finished a four-year collegiate career with Western Michigan University, highlighted by a sophomore season going 9-6-2 with a 2.06 goals-against average, .925 save percentage and two shutouts in 21 NCHC games. Hafner also made his pro debut in 2015-16 appearing in five ECHL games with Alaska.
Hafner was on board for both of Colorado's ECHL Kelly Cup championships the last two seasons. In 2016-17 the Toledo, Ohio native began the season with Columbus in the SPHL appearing in six games before rejoining Alaska for five ECHL games. Hafner joined Colorado in February of 2017 and logged five regular season games before leading the Eagles to the league crown with a 2.43 goals-against average and .903 save percentage while earning an ECHL-best 14 wins going 14-2 in 16 of 20 playoff games. Last year Hafner helped the Eagles to their second ECHL championship appearing in 20 regular season games (13-4-1) and two playoff games.
Miller, 23, will be making his pro debut with the Komets. The Stony Plain, Alberta native completed four seasons at Ohio State last year amassing Big 10 collegiate career totals of 24 goals and 40 points in 114 games. Last season Miller scored eight goals and 12 points in 38 games while ranking 12th in the Big 10 with +13. The center registered a college career year in 2016-17 scoring 11 goals and 15 points in 38 games and was named co-recipient of the team's Most Improved Player award. Miller finished his college career as a four-time Ohio State Scholar-Athlete and a three-time Academic All Big Ten honoree.
The Komets preseason roster grows to nine players and includes four forwards, four defensemen and a goaltender.
The Komets' 2018-19 season home opener is slated for Saturday, Oct. 20 against the Kalamazoo Wings. Season tickets are on sale at the Komet office at 1010 Memorial Way in Fort Wayne. For more information visit the Komet office, Komets.com or call 260-483-0011.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from July 16, 2018
- Komets Snag Kelly Cup Champ Goalie Lukas Hafner - Fort Wayne Komets
- Walleye Collect Forward in Trade - Toledo Walleye
- Thunder Acquires Former Fourth Round Draft Pick Jacobs - Wichita Thunder
- Komets Snag Kelly Cup Champ Goalie Lukas Hafner; Forward Kevin Miller Also Added to Preseason Roster - Fort Wayne Komets
- Steelheads Extend Affiliation Agreement with the Dallas Stars - Idaho Steelheads
- Joel Martin Named Kalamazoo Wings Assistant Coach - Kalamazoo Wings
- Royals Twitter Handle Changes to @ReadingRoyals - Reading Royals
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fort Wayne Komets Stories
- Komets Gain Four Points for Week 14; Wings Return Wednesday, Hanson Brothers Here Friday
- Forward Matthew Weis Assigned to Komets, Fucale Reassigned to Chicago
- Fort Wayne's Joe Franke Named All-Star Equipment Manager
- Komet Zach Fucale Snares ECHL Goaltender of the Week
- Komets Forward Justin Hodgman Tagged ECHL All Star