Know Your Opponent | Atlanta United
City are back on the road for a two-game trip beginning with Atlanta on Sunday after last weekend's home loss to Toronto. Atlanta is coming off a win on Wednesday over TFC who made the trip to Atlanta immediately following the match in Orlando over the weekend. Here is what you need to know about Sunday's opponents:
Miguel Almiron's time in Major League Soccer came to a close this offseason. United's creative midfielder joined Newcastle United in the Premier League. Other losses included Greg Garza and Chris McCann who both had solid contributions in their time with Atlanta.
With Almiron out, Atlanta United had to make a move for another creator and they did that with Pity Martinez taking the number ten shirt.
Atlanta's big names are producing early on in 2019. Ezequiel Barco and Josef Martinez have both bagged four goals for Atlanta which leads the team in nine games. That's not bad, but Josef Martinez is off his 2018 pace where he had seven goals in as many matches. The other standout has been Brad Guzan who has four clean sheets to his name in nine games played.
Atlanta got off to a slow start to 2019 with a 1-3-2 record in their first six games, but since then they have won three straight to move up the Eastern Conference standings. The only downside to their form has been that only four players have netted a goal through nine games.
Atlanta leads the all-time series between the two sides with City still looking for a win.
Fun Fact presented by Rasmussen College
This will be the second time City faces a team this season that has two former Lions. The first time City faced Vancouver with the likes of Scott Sutter and PC. On Sunday, City could see Brek Shea and Justin Meram in the red and black for the first time.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from May 9, 2019
- Timbers Weekly Update: May 9, 2019 - Portland Timbers
- Philadelphia Union Receive $175,000 in General Allocation Money from Nashville SC - Philadelphia Union
- LAFC Launches "Women in Sports Week" - Los Angeles FC
- New York Red Bulls Sign New York Native Alex Muyl to New MLS Contract - New York Red Bulls
- Know Your Opponent | Atlanta United - Orlando City SC
- LAFC Announces Community Partnership with WSS - Los Angeles FC
- Brad Friedel Relieved of Duties as New England Revolution Head Coach - New England Revolution
- LAFC Announces Time Change for Home Match against Galaxy - Los Angeles FC
- TeleXitos to Televise Dynamo Away Games in Spanish - Houston Dynamo
- Time Changed for Columbus Home Game - FC Cincinnati
- Columbus Crew SC Announces Time Change for August 25th Road Match against FC Cincinnati - Columbus Crew SC
- Impact Comes from Behind to Defeat Red Bulls 2-1 in New Jersey - Montreal Impact
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.