Knights Power Past 'PigsThursday
(ALLENTOWN, PA) -- Rymer Liriano homered for the third consecutive day, Lucas Giolito tossed 6.2 solid innings, and the Charlotte Knights beat the Lehigh Valley IronPigs by a score of 9-8 on Thursday in the opening game of a four-game series from Coca-Cola Park in Allentown, PA.
Liriano once again paced the offense with the long ball. The 26-year-old outfielder went 3-for-5 at the plate on Thursday and finished the game just a triple shy of hitting for the cycle. He launched his 14th home run of the season in the fifth inning -- a two-run shot -- off Lehigh Valley starter Ben Lively (7-4, 3.18). The Knights scored seven runs on 10 hits over 4.2 innings against Lively, who was saddled with the loss.
Giolito (5-10, 4.70) pitched into the seventh inning and earned the win after he allowed three runs on five hits over 6.2 innings. The 23-year-old hurler walked two batters and struck-out six on the evening. He threw 106 total pitches (69 for strikes). For the season, Giolito now has 127 strikeouts over 122.2 innings pitched.
The Knights totaled a game-high 15 hits on the night, while six of the starting nine had at least two hits or more. Casey Gillaspie, who homered in Wednesday's game, went 3-for-5 with two runs scored, two doubles, and three RBIs on the night. Jacob May went 2-for-4 with one run scored, one double, two RBIs, and a stolen base. He leads the Knights with 23 steals on the year.
Charlotte won the game despite a late-inning comeback attempt from the IronPigs, who scored five runs over the final two innings. In the bottom of the ninth, the 'Pigs cut the lead to one after Brock Stassi ripped a two-run home run off Charlotte reliever Danny Farquhar. Still, Farquhar got out of the jam and struck-out Dylan Cozens to end the game. He notched his first save of the season with the Knights.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 12, 2017
- Knights Power Past 'PigsThursday - Charlotte Knights
- PawSox Clip Columbus in Series Opener - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Bulls Walk off with 1-0 Win over Scranton/Wb - Durham Bulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Charlotte Knights Stories
- Tonight's Collegiate Baseball Game Cancelled Due to Impending Weather
- Knights Announce 2018 Scholarships with Founding Partners
- Tonight's Game Canceled Due to Inclement Weather
- Knights Unveil 2018 Promotional Lineup for 5th Season in Uptown Charlotte
- David Justice, Ham Porter, Million Dollar Man Among Celebs to Appear at Knights' Games in 2018