Knights Drop Finale to 'Wings 7-6 Wednesday
(ROCHESTER, NY) - The Rochester Red Wings scored six runs over the final four innings, including a go-ahead run in the bottom of the ninth off reliever Bobby Parnell to earn a 7-6 win over the Charlotte Knights on Wednesday in the finale of their series from Frontier Field in Rochester, NY.
ByungHo Park singled home former Knights outfielder J.B. Shuck for the game-winning run. Park went 3-for-4 with a home run and two RBIs. Parnell (3-3, 11.48) allowed three runs over 1.2 innings out of the bullpen and was charged with the loss. Parnell allowed two runs in the eighth inning, which tied the game at 6-6.
RHP Carson Fulmer started for the Knights and gave up just two runs on four hits over six solid innings. Fulmer was staked to a 5-1 lead and left with a chance for his seventh win of the season. He threw 89 pitches (52 for strikes).
Cody Asche and Danny Hayes led the way for the Knights offensively. Asche went 3-for-4 with two runs scored, a home run, and two RBIs. His eighth home run of the season -- a two-run shot -- came in the first inning off Rochester starter Justin Haley. Three innings later, Danny Hayes launched his team-high 16th home run of the season. Hayes finished the game with two hits and two RBIs.
Jake Peter, who was promoted to Charlotte from Double-A Birmingham before the game, went 2-for-4 at the plate. Peter took the roster spot of Yoan Moncada, who was promoted to Chicago earlier in the day. Ronald Bueno chipped in with two hits.
Rochester RHP Alan Busenitz (3-0, 1.83) earned the win after he tossed a scoreless ninth inning.
The Knights will now hit the road and make the trek to Moosic, PA to open a four-game series against the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders on Thursday. RHP Lucas Giolito (3-8, 5.00) will get the start for the Knights against Scranton/Wilkes-Barre LHP Dietrich Enns (0-1, 2.30). Pre-game radio coverage will begin at 6:50 p.m. on ESPN Charlotte (730 AM) and CharlotteKnights.com. The "Voice of the Charlotte Knights" Matt Swierad will have the call for all of the action.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from July 20, 2017
- Pigs Sweep G-Braves with Win in Finale - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Knights Drop Finale to 'Wings 7-6 Wednesday - Charlotte Knights
- Park Hit Wins It for Wings - Rochester Red Wings
- Casali Carries Bulls to Win - Durham Bulls
- Late Rally Leads Bats Past Chiefs - Syracuse Mets
- Beato Sets Franchise Record in Pigs Win - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Gwinnett falls in extras to Lehigh Valley - Gwinnett Stripers
- Solo Shots Send Tribe to Victory in Durham - Indianapolis Indians
- Hens Shut out in Sixth Straight Loss - Toledo Mud Hens
- Early Runs Hold up in Bulls' 5-1 Win - Durham Bulls
- PawSox Extend Streak to Eight Wins with Another Shutout - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Pair of Louisville Homers Give Bats 5-1 Victory - Louisville Bats
- Chiefs Drop Middle Game to Bats - Syracuse Mets
- Bisons Rout Columbus for Second Straight Win - Buffalo Bisons
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.