Kljestan issued additional suspension for rolein tunnel confrontation
December 22, 2017 - Major League Soccer (MLS) News Release
NEW YORK - Major League Soccer today announced that, following a thorough internal investigation of the halftime incident between Toronto FC and the New York Red Bulls during the second leg of the Audi 2017 MLS Cup Playoffs' Conference Semifinals, Red Bulls midfielder Sacha Kljestan has been issued an additional game suspension and an increased undisclosed fine.
The incident initially resulted in red cards being issued to Toronto FC forward Jozy Altidore and to Kljestan for violent conduct. In addition, Toronto FC, the New York Red Bulls, and Red Bulls Head Coach Jesse Marsch have been issued undisclosed fines for their respective roles in the incident.
On November 16, MLS announced that the Independent Panel, consisting of one representative from the United States Soccer Federation, one representative from the Canadian Soccer Association, and one representative from the Professional Referee Organization, had denied appeals made by each club on behalf of their respective players.
Altidore served his one-game suspension in the Audi 2017 MLS Cup Playoffs' Conference Championships Leg 1 on November 21. Kljestan, as a result of an interaction with stadium security personnel, has been issued an additional game suspension and an increased undisclosed fine. Kljestan will serve his two-game suspension during his first two matches of the 2018 MLS regular season.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 22, 2017
- Kljestan issued additional suspension for rolein tunnel confrontation - MLS
- Dates and Times Announced for Sounders FC's Scotiabank CONCACAF - Seattle Sounders FC
- New York Red Bulls Re-Sign Midfielder Vincent Bezecourt - New York Red Bulls
- FC Dallas opens 2018 Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League play in Panama - FC Dallas
- Dates Announced for Scotiabank CONCACAF Champions League Round Of 16 matches - New York Red Bulls
- Dates Announced for Toronto FC's First Matchup - Toronto FC
- FC Dallas Signs Defender Anton Nedyalkov - FC Dallas
- United Acquire Costa Rican National Team Midfielder Ulises Segura - D.C. United
- Philadelphia Union Sign Forward Cory Burke - Philadelphia Union
- Utah Royals FC Announce U.S. WNT Captain Becky Sauerbrunn for 2018 Season - Real Salt Lake
- MAPFRE Stadium to Host SheBelieves Cup Doubleheader - Columbus Crew SC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.