Kinston's Hector Rondon is the Carolina League Pitcher of the Week
KINSTON - Kinston Indian's pitcher Hector Rondon is the Carolina League Pitcher of the Week. The K-Tribe takes the award for the second straight week. Last week Kinston swept the awards as starting pitcher Josh Tomlin was the pitcher and Jason Denham was the player of the week.
The 20-year-old Rondon earned the award with a fantastic 4th of July start. Rondon got the win, going 6 2/3 innings, giving up just two hits and no earned runs. Rondon struck out eight in the outing. The Venezuelan native is having a fantastic season with a team leading seven wins and a 3.06 ERA. Rondon is second in the Carolina League with 97 strikeouts; he is fifth in the CL in ERA. Rondon had the lowest ERA of any pitcher in the league during the month of June, going 4-0 with a 1.29 ERA in five starts. Last week, Rondon was named to the World Roster to pitch in the MLB Future's game at Yankee Stadium on June 13th.
Rondon joins Josh Tomlin and Jim Deters as the other K-Tribe pitcher's to grab the honor this year. The K-Tribe is currently one game out of first place in the Carolina League Southern Division. The Indians will return home to Grainger Stadium on Saturday, July 12th through Saturday, July 19th. The homestand kicks off this Saturday with a Salute to the Negro Leagues Night.
Ticket prices remain unchanged for 2008, with military, students and seniors reserved seats just $4 all season long. Adult reserved seat tickets are just $6. General Admission tickets are only $5. Parking is always free at Grainger Stadium. Fans can buy tickets online at www.kinstonindians.com , in person at the K-Tribe offices, or by calling 252-527-9111.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from July 7, 2008
- Warthogs Steal Nightcap, Salvage Split With Kinston - Winston-Salem Dash
- P-Nats take game one in split - Potomac Nationals
- Avs win series with split - Salem Red Sox
- K-Tribe splits twin bill - Kinston Indians
- Keys come up in empty clutch - Frederick Keys
- Rocks fall in Myrtle Beach - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Vines ushers in Pelicans victory - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Four Hillcats Named Top Carolina League Prospects - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Kinston's Hector Rondon is the Carolina League Pitcher of the Week - Kinston Indians
- Pelicans Game Notes - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Hillcats Game Notes - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Collin Raye And Crystal Gayle Concert Cancelled - Frederick Keys
- Potomac Nationals Game Notes - Potomac Nationals
- Lowrance Carolina League Player of the Week - CarL
- Pelicans Playoff Tickets On Sale Now - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Pelicans Tenth Anniversary Team To Be Unveiled Friday - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.