Keys Steal Rubber Match from Dash on Late Homer
WINSTON-SALEM, N.C. (April 19, 2017) - Despite a series-high seven hits for Winston-Salem, a late two-run homer by Randolph Gassaway allowed the Keys to sneak past the Dash 5-4 in Wednesday's rubber match at BB&T Ballpark.
In defeat, the Lexington, N.C., native Landon Lassiter had a solid return to Winston-Salem. Re-signed by the White Sox on Sunday, the North Davidson High School alumnus went 1-for-4 with a go-ahead RBI double in the seventh against Keys reliever Mitch Horacek (2-0) to break a 3-3 tie.
But Frederick (6-7) provided the final lead change of the game in the eighth against Dash reliever Yelmison Peralta (0-1). After Ryan Mountcastle drew a one-out walk, Gassaway drilled the aforementioned two-run blast just beyond the left field wall.
The Dash (4-10) drew back-to-back walks with two outs in the ninth, but Luis Gonzalez locked down his second save of the season by forcing Johan Cruz to ground into a fielder's choice.
In the homestand finale, Aaron Schnurbusch had Winston-Salem's lone multi-hit game. The former Pitt Panther went 2-for-4 with his second triple of the year.
Winston-Salem took the first lead of the game in the second inning against Frederick starter Brian Gonzalez. After Toby Thomas walked and stole second with two outs, Schnurbusch blooped an RBI single into right-center to give the Dash an early 1-0 edge.
Dash starter Max Beatty did not allow a hit through the first three against Frederick, but he ran into trouble in the fourth. With runners at the corners and one out, Jomar Reyes stroked an opposite field, two-run double to right to put the Keys ahead 2-1.
Frederick coughed up the advantage in the next half inning. Gonzalez retired the first two batters before yielding a triple to Thomas. With Schnurbusch up, Keys catcher Stuart Levy tried to pick off Thomas at third after a first pitch ball, but Levy threw wide to allow Thomas to score on the throwing error.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from April 20, 2017
- Blue Rocks Nip Dash in Thursday's Series Opener - Winston-Salem Dash
- Keys Steal Rubber Match from Dash on Late Homer - Winston-Salem Dash
- Pelicans Drop Rubber Match against Astros - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Winston-Salem Dash Stories
- Dash, Black Tie Transportation Ink Long-Term Agreement
- Free Open House Returns as Kickoff Event for 2018 Season
- Dash Announce Jam-Packed 2018 Promotional Schedule
- Passion to Perform Concert after Dash's Game on June 23
- Oh Say Can You Sing? Winston-Salem Journal National Anthem Tryouts Set for March 10