Keys, P-Nats Suspended in Bottom of Sixth
FREDERICK, Md. - Sunday's Frederick Keys game against the Potomac Nationals was suspended by rain in the bottom of the sixth inning with the Keys trailing 4-3. The game will be resumed Monday at 12:30 p.m. at Harry Grove Stadium and will then be followed tomorrow's regularly scheduled, nine-inning season finale.
Sunday's game went into rain delay with Zane Chavez batting, no outs and a 3-0 count against Potomac reliever Rafael Martin in the bottom of the sixth. The game was suspended after 31 minutes of delay.
A leadoff walk led to the Keys' first run of the game Sunday night, Trent Mummey giving Frederick a 1-0 lead in the bottom of the first. Mummey took first on a 3-2 pitch that was low and inside, stole second, moved to third on a fly out and scored on Michael Ohlman's two-out single to center.
A pair of two-out walks loaded the bases for the Nationals in the third and they took a 2-1 lead on Kevin Keyes' single, but Frederick matched Potomac's pair of runs in the bottom half of the inning. With runners on first and second, Baltimore Oriole Ryan Flaherty, who's playing with the Keys this series before being recalled to Baltimore, lined a single into left field, P-Nats left fielder Brandon Miller booted the ball allowing both runs to score and Flaherty to advanced to second. He was stranded at third with the Keys leading 3-2.
Potomac tied the game in the next half inning, Randolph Oduber's double off the right field wall bringinghome Justin Miller from second base, and took the lead, 4-3, on Brandon Miller's leadoff solo homer in the sixth.
Keys starter Trent Howard pitched four innings, allowed five hits, three runs and walked two while fanning five. P-Nats starter Paul Demny pitched five innings, allowed four hits, three runs, walked three and struck out six. Demny is in line for the win and Frederick reliever Zach Fowler, who entered the game in the fifth and allowed Miller's homer, is on the hook for the loss.
Those with tickets from Sunday's game can exchange them for tickets to tomorrow's contests, for which there will be just one admission, at the box office at Harry Grove Stadium. Gates will open at 11:30 a.m. and the box office opens at 10 a.m. Fans with tickets to Monday's originally scheduled 2 p.m. game may enter when gates open. Monday is Fan Appreciation Day at Harry Grove Stadium and fans will have the opportunity to win signed Orioles memorabilia. Tickets for the Labor Day Matinee, the final contests of the 2013 season for the Keys, are available for purchase online at FrederickKeys.com, by phone at 301-815-9939 or at the box office at Harry Grove Stadium.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from September 1, 2013
- Nationals and Keys Suspended - Potomac Nationals
- Pelicans Smash Muddies in Front of Sold out Crowd - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Big First Propels Pelicans to Penultimate Win - Carolina Mudcats
- Keys, P-Nats Suspended in Bottom of Sixth - Frederick Keys
- Santiago Shuts Down Dash - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Salem Takes Two for Sunday Sweep - Salem Red Sox
- Hillcats Drop Two in Salem Sunday - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Dash Drop Third Straight in Shutout Fashion - Winston-Salem Dash
- Pelicans Media Notes vs. Carolina - 6:05 p.m. EST - Game 2 of 3 - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Winston-Salem Dash Game Notes (September 1 at Wilmington) - Winston-Salem Dash
- RHP Myles Jaye promoted - Winston-Salem Dash
- Lynchburg Hillcats Game Notes - Lynchburg Hillcats
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.