Kane County wraps up 17th season of baseball with a defeat in Wisconsin
APPLETON, Wisc. - The Kane County Cougars finished their 17th season of baseball on Monday afternoon with a 1-0 loss against the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers in front of 3,064 fans at Time Warner Cable Field. The Cougars finished 39-31 in the second half and 63-75, missing the playoffs for only the second time as an Oakland A's affiliate.
Starter James Heuser pitched eight innings of seven-hit shutout ball, walking one and fanning seven in a no-decision. Meanwhile the Cougars' offense managed just three hits in their season finale, a double by Christian Vitters and singles by Josh Horton and Haas Pratt.
Derrick Gordon (3-3) took the loss, allowing an unearned run in the bottom of the ninth. Pinch-runner Calvin Beamon stole second and took third on an error and later scored on an error for the 1-0 finish.
The Cougars split that series and won 13 of their final 18 games, taking a second-half playoff charge down to the season's final weekend before bowing out.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from September 3, 2007
- Big Inning Ends Loons Season With Loss - Great Lakes Loons
- Lugnuts Cap Regular Season With Sweep - Lansing Lugnuts
- Bees End Season with a Win - Burlington Bees
- Swept to end the regular season - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Kernels drop season finale to Chiefs, 5-2 - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Snappers To Face Quad Cities In First Round - Beloit Snappers
- Chiefs Win Season Finale, Beat Kernels 5-2 - Peoria Chiefs
- Chiefs Set Franchise Attendance Record - Peoria Chiefs
- Snappers End Regular Season on Positive Note - Beloit Snappers
- Swing Swept Away In Beloit - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Dragons Drop Regular Season Finale 8-5 - Dayton Dragons
- Kane County wraps up 17th season of baseball with a defeat in Wisconsin - Kane County Cougars
- Rattlers End Season With A Walk Off - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Playoffs Are Coming On Wednesday - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Kernels make the playoffs - Cedar Rapids Kernels
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.