Justin Greene Named Carolina League Player Of The Week
For the second time this season, Winston-Salem Dash outfielder Justin Greene was named the Carolina League's "Player of the Week" for the week of May 17 - May 23.
Greene hit .345 with two home runs and seven RBI over the course of the week. He was among the Carolina League leaders in several categories: runs batted in (T-1st), home runs (T-2nd), total bases (1st, 20), extra-base hits (T-1st, 5), doubles (T-3rd, 2), slugging percentage (4th, .690), and OPS (5th, 1.034).
The centerfielder from Goose Creek, SC had two memorable games this week. In the 20-inning game last Wednesday, Greene hit a game-tying RBI single with two outs in the bottom of the 14th inning to extend the contest, which Winston-Salem eventually won. Two days later, Greene came within a home run of the cycle against Lynchburg, going 3 for 4 with a single, a double, and a triple while also scoring two runs and notching two RBI.
This is the second such honor for Greene this season. He won the same award three weeks ago. This also marks the third time a Dash player has won the Carolina League's Player of the Week award. Brandon Short won it two weeks ago and the winner has been a Winston-Salem player for three of the past four weeks.
The first-place Dash owns the best record in minor league baseball at 31-13. The team begins a nine-game road trip, the longest of the season, tomorrow against the Salem Red Sox. RHP Terry Doyle makes his second start for the Dash against RHP Caleb Clay at 7:05 p.m.
The Dash returns to BB&T Ballpark on Thursday, June 3 when it begins a four-game series with the Kinston Indians.
The Winston-Salem Dash is the Class-A Advanced minor league affiliate of the Chicago White Sox. To purchase tickets and for more information, please call 336-714-2287 or visit www.wsdash.com.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from May 24, 2010
- Dash Triumph over Lynchburg - Winston-Salem Dash
- Kinston Beats Potomac in 15 Innings - Kinston Indians
- Caldera Corrals Keys - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Bats Remain Quiet in 3-1 Loss - Frederick Keys
- Kinston's Gardner Named Carolina League Pitcher Of The Week - Kinston Indians
- Indians Start Three Game Series At Potomac - Potomac Nationals
- Dash Makes Roster Move - Winston-Salem Dash
- Justin Greene Named Carolina League Player Of The Week - Winston-Salem Dash
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Winston-Salem Dash Stories
- Dash to Rebrand as "Rayados" for MiLB's "Copa de la Diversion" Initiative
- Dash, Black Tie Transportation Ink Long-Term Agreement
- Free Open House Returns as Kickoff Event for 2018 Season
- Dash Announce Jam-Packed 2018 Promotional Schedule
- Passion to Perform Concert after Dash's Game on June 23