Jumbo Shrimp Defeated by Shuckers
BILOXI, Miss. - The Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp (18-20, 48-60) fell to the Biloxi Shuckers (17-21, 53-54) by a 2-1 score in the third game of the five-game series at MGM Park on Tuesday night.
Biloxi spot right-handed starter Hiram Burgos (1-0) earned the win, working five innings where he allowed a run on four hits with two walks and seven strikeouts. Jacksonville left-handed starter Dillon Peters (2-2) suffered the loss, going six innings where he allowed two runs on three hits with a pair of walks and seven strikeouts. Biloxi right-handed reliever Jorge Lopez worked the final two innings in perfect fashion to earn his third save of the year.
The Jumbo Shrimp offense got to work quickly, with John Norwood hitting an RBI single in the first inning to give the Shrimp an early 1-0 lead. The Shuckers jumped in front in the bottom of the second, with a two-out two-run homer by Javier Betancourt to put Biloxi ahead 2-1.
Before the bottom of the fifth there was a power surge in downtown Biloxi, and there was a 24-minute delay for the lights to properly turn back on at MGM Park.
The Shuckers added a run of insurance in the bottom of the eighth with a Troy Stokes, Jr., RBI double to grow the lead to 3-1, which would be the final score.
The Shrimp offense sent the minimum amount of batters to the plate in each of the final five innings of the game against Burgos and the Biloxi bullpen. The loss is Jacksonville's third straight in the series, and the Shuckers already have clinched a series victory in the five-game set.
The Jumbo Shrimp and Shuckers will continue their series with the fourth game of the five-game series on Wednesday night at MGM Park at 7:35 p.m. ET. Right-handed pitcher Joe Gunkel (3-6, 5.01 ERA) will start for Jacksonville against Biloxi right-handed pitcher Freddy Peralta (1-2, 2.76).Fans can listen to the game on the Jumbo Shrimp Network presented by Community First, beginning at 7:20 p.m. with the pregame show "Shrimp On Deck" locally on FM 100.3 The Biz and AM 1600, on the TuneIn Radio app, and www.jaxshrimp.com .
• Discuss this story on the Southern League message board...
Southern League Stories from August 2, 2017
- M-Braves Roster Moves - Mississippi Braves
- Stokes Jr., WIlkerson Named Brewers Player & Pitcher of the Month - Biloxi Shuckers
- Magic Mike Propels Biscuits to Win over Lookouts - Montgomery Biscuits
- BayBears Walkoff with Victory over Braves in 13 Innings - Mississippi Braves
- Jones, Kubat, Mendick Key Come from Behind Victory - Birmingham Barons
- Pensacola Falls to Birmingham - Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Shuckers defeats Jacksonville - Biloxi Shuckers
- Big First Not Enough against Smokies - Jackson Generals
- Jumbo Shrimp Defeated by Shuckers - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.