Joe Serafin Promoted to AAA Charlotte
WINSTON-SALEM, NC (AUGUST 29, 2011) - Newly minted Carolina League "Pitcher of the Week" Joe Serafin was promoted to AAA Charlotte today. In a corresponding roster move, RHP J.R. Ballinger was returned to the Dash from the Knights.
Serafin made 24 starts this season for Winston-Salem, going 5-10 with a 5.48 ERA. He won the league-wide honor earlier today for his performance at Salem last week, throwing seven scoreless innings and allowing five hits with no walks and seven strikeouts. Serafin was drafted by the White Sox in the 37th round of the 2009 draft out of the University of Vermont, where he won America East "Pitcher of the Year" in 2008.
Ballinger spent most of the season with the Dash prior to his promotion to Charlotte on Saturday. He pitched on Sunday for the Knights, throwing 3.1 scoreless innings out of the bullpen in a 3-0 loss at Durham, striking out two, walking one, and allowing two hits. Ballinger is 4-2 in the Carolina League with 5.54 ERA in 17 relief appearances this season.
The Dash roster remains at 24 players, one below the Carolina League limit.
The Winston-Salem Dash are the Class-A Advanced minor league affiliate of the Chicago White Sox. To purchase tickets and for more information, please call 336-714-2287 or visit www.wsdash.com .
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from August 29, 2011
- Rocks Blank Pelicans to Open Final Homestand of Season - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Same Old Story for Birds Bats in Wilmington - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Back-To-Back Jacks Win It for 'Cats - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Testa Takes Player of the Week Honors - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Pelicans Game Notes - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Joe Serafin Promoted to AAA Charlotte - Winston-Salem Dash
- Lynchburg Hillcats Game Notes - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Joe Serafin Named CL "Pitcher of the Week" - Winston-Salem Dash
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.