Jets Sign Leon Gawanke
WINNIPEG - The Winnipeg Jets announced today they have agreed to terms with defenceman Leon Gawanke on a three-year, entry-level contract with an average annual value of $810,000.
Gawanke, 19, was drafted by the Jets in the fifth round (136th overall) in the 2017 NHL Draft and just completed his third season with the Cape Breton Screaming Eagles of the QMJHL. The Berlin, Germany native led all Screaming Eagles blueliners and was third among QMJHL defencemen with 57 points (17G, 40A) in 62 games in 2018-19. Gawanke added another seven points (2G, 5A) in 11 playoff games this season and he also won team awards as Top Defenceman and for Outstanding Community Involvement.
Born May 31 1999 -- Berlin, Germany
Height 6.01 -- Weight 196 -- Shoots R
2016-17 Cape Breton Screaming Eagles QMJHL 54 8 24 32 26 11 11 1 3 4 4
2017-18 Cape Breton Screaming Eagles QMJHL 62 4 28 32 39 -20 5 1 1 2 5
2018-19 Cape Breton Screaming Eagles QMJHL 62 17 40 57 26 14 11 2 5 7 4
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from May 23, 2019
- Checkers Drop Game 4 in Overtime - Charlotte Checkers
- Wolves Game 4 Preview: Turn on the Power - Chicago Wolves
- Cleveland Monsters Announce 2019 Summer Tour Presented by Cedar Point - Cleveland Monsters
- Marlies Look to Even Series on Home Ice - Toronto Marlies
- Jets Sign Leon Gawanke - Manitoba Moose
- Wolves Fall at San Diego - Chicago Wolves
- Home Ice Brings San Diego Win, Series Lead - San Diego Gulls
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.