Jepsen Heads To Salt Lake, Aldridge Joins Travs
Hammons Field, Springfield, MO - All-star right handed reliever Kevin Jepsen was promoted to the Angels' class-AAA Salt Lake affiliate this morning and was replaced in the Travs' bullpen by RHP Ryan Aldridge. Jepsen leaves as the Texas League's top closer with 11 saves in 12 chances. He will take over closer duties for Salt Lake after former Travs RHP Darren O'Day was called up to the big league team after Chris Bootcheck was placed on the disabled list.
Jepsen, 23, was dominating over 25 appearances out of the Arkansas bullpen. He held a 1.42 ERA and held batters to a .198 average while posting a 2-1 record. Jepsen whiffed 35 batters in 31.2 innings anchoring the Travs' relief corps. At the time of his promotion Jepsen was working on a string of 10.1 consecutive scoreless innings.
Aldridge, 24, began the season at the Angels' extended spring training complex wrapping up rehab from elbow surgery performed last July. After joining Rancho Cucamonga in mid-May, Aldridge held opponents to no runs over 9.1 innings while saving 5 games. He struck out 11 batters, allowed just 4 hits and walked 2 batters. Selected by the Angels with a 14th round choice in the 2004 draft out of Middle George College, Aldridge posted stellar numbers during the 2006 season at Cedar Rapids with 24 saves in 50 appearances along with a 2.34 ERA and 81 strikeouts in 57 innings.
• Discuss this story on the Texas League message board...
Texas League Stories from June 10, 2008
- Missions Strike Late, Win 5-4 - Corpus Christi Hooks
- Cards Beat Travs 3-1, Tie For First Place - Arkansas Travelers
- Riders win third straight - Frisco RoughRiders
- Drillers Win Again - Tulsa Drillers
- Cards Back In First Place - Springfield Cardinals
- Jepsen Heads To Salt Lake, Aldridge Joins Travs - Arkansas Travelers
- "Izzy" to Hammons Field on Wednesday - Springfield Cardinals
- Watch Hooks Baseball Live From Frisco Thursday Night - Corpus Christi Hooks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.