Isotopes Slow Down Storm Chasers
Albuquerque, NM - Joe Becker delivered the tie-breaking two-run single in the sixth inning to carry Albuquerque to a 7-4 win over the Storm Chasers Friday night in the first of a four-game set at Isotopes Park. The Isotopes scored in five different innings to improve to 3-6 on the young season and brought a halt to Omaha's six-game win streak. The Storm Chasers dipped to 7-2 despite turning three ground ball double plays in their first road contest of the year.
Josh Fields got the scoring started in the bottom of the second with a two-run home run but the Chasers responded in the next half inning with run-producing hits by Cody Clark and Johnny Giavotella to get the game tied.
The hosts quickly regained the lead in the third on a solo shot by Jerry Sands, his second of the season, both coming against Omaha. Clark led the next comeback charge in the fifth inning with another RBI double before scoring on a Tony Abreu fielder's choice grounder to once again knot the score.
Omaha starter Ryan Verdugo lasted four frames and was charged with four runs on five hits and four walks while fanning a pair. He was followed to the hill by Sean O'Sullivan, who worked a scoreless fifth before yielding the decisive hit to Becker. Jeff Baisley finished the scoring with a seventh inning sacrifice fly.
Albuquerque starter Fernando Nieve, who was roughed up for nine runs on 11 hits over just 1 2/3 innings by Omaha on Sunday, bounced back to grab his first win of the season. The right-hander yielded four runs, three earned, on seven hits while striking out three over six innings. Will Savage took over and tossed two scoreless frames before Josh Wall set down the side in the ninth to earn his second save.
The series continues Saturday with Omaha left-hander Mike Montgomery taking the hill against Albuquerque right-hander John Ely. Coverage of the game begins at 7:45 pm central time and can be heard locally on AM 1180 and online at omahastormchasers.com.
• Discuss this story on the Pacific Coast League message board...
Pacific Coast League Stories from April 13, 2012
- I-Cubs Win Road Opener at Round Rock - Iowa Cubs
- Isotopes Present Tommy Lasorda with 1972 PCL Championship Ring - Albuquerque Isotopes
- Isotopes Slow Down Storm Chasers - Omaha Storm Chasers
- Sky Sox Fall in Home Opener, Blanked by 51s 14-0 - Colorado Springs Sky Sox
- 'Birds Drop Eighth Straight in Home Opener - Memphis Redbirds
- Round Rock Express One Run Short Again, Fall to Iowa 6-5 - Round Rock Express
- Tucson falls to the Bees - Tucson Padres
- Sounds Commit Four Errors, Fall 6-4 to Zephyrs in Home Opener - Nashville Sounds
- Zephyrs Win Fifth in a Row, Improve to 8-1 - New Orleans Baby Cakes
- RedHawks Game Notes: April 13, 2012 - Oklahoma City Dodgers
- Round Rock Express - Game Notes Vs. Iowa Cubs (Chicago Cubs) - Round Rock Express
- Homestand Highlights (Opening Night Friday, April 13 - Friday April 20) - Memphis Redbirds
- Angels Recall Carpenter, Option Amarista to Salt Lake - Salt Lake Bees
- Aces Walk-Off with 7-6 Victory in 13 Innings - Reno Aces
- Rainiers Stumble Late Against Sky Sox - Tacoma Rainiers
- Padres shutout the River Cats - Tucson Padres
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.