Islanders Recall Johnston
Third-year forward made his NHL debut with the Islanders on April 10, 2016 BRIDGEPORT, Conn. (January 19, 2018) - The New York Islanders announced today that forward Ross Johnston has been recalled from the team's American Hockey League affiliate, the Bridgeport Sound Tigers.
Johnston, 23, collected 11 points (three goals, eight assists) in 37 games with the Sound Tigers this season and his 113 penalty minutes lead all players in the AHL. He also recorded a career-high 15 points (eight goals, seven assists) and 135 penalty minutes with Bridgeport last season.
A native of Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Johnston made his NHL debut with the Islanders on April 10, 2016 against the Philadelphia Flyers. In addition to one NHL outing, he has earned 30 points (12 goals, 18 assists) in 140 career games at the AHL level - all with the Sound Tigers.
Prior to turning pro, the 6'4, 225-pound forward played four seasons in the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League (QMJHL) from 2011-15. He notched 91 points (42 goals, 49 assists) in 195 games between the Moncton Wildcats, Victoriaville Tigres and Charlottetown Islanders - his hometown team. Johnston served as an alternate captain with both Victoriaville and Charlottetown.
About the Bridgeport Sound Tigers: Founded in 2001, the Bridgeport Sound Tigers Hockey Club is the top minor league affiliate of the New York Islanders. Don't miss your chance to take part in the family fun entertainment happening every home game at Webster Bank Arena.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 20, 2018
- Penguins Maneuver Several Roster Moves - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Syracuse Crunch Partner with Syracuse University Sport Management - Syracuse Crunch
- Motte Returns to Chicago; Lough Signs SPC - Chicago Wolves
- Islanders Recall Johnston - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Rangers Recall Tony Deangelo and Daniel - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Sabres Recall Baptiste from Rochester - Rochester Americans
- Wolf Pack Sign Forward Chris Langkow to PTO - Hartford Wolf Pack
- JETS RECALL HUTCHINSON AND ROSLOVIC FROM THE MANITOBA MOOSE - Manitoba Moose
- Blue Jackets Assign Left Wing Markus Hannikainen - Cleveland Monsters
- SAN DIEGO GULLS TO HOST INAUGURAL DIVERSITY NIGHT - San Diego Gulls
- Olczyk Recalled, Anselmini Assigned to Fuel - Rockford IceHogs
- Syracuse Crunch Recall Forward Shane Conacher from Adirondack - Syracuse Crunch
- McAdam Reassigned to Bridgeport - Bridgeport Sound Tigers
- Dahlstrom, Highmore Named to AHL All-Star Team - Rockford IceHogs
- Monsters to Host Cavaliers Tribute Night at the Q - Cleveland Monsters
- Oilers Recall Pakarinen - Bakersfield Condors
- F Oskar Lindblom Added to 2018 AHL All-Star Classic - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- ROSTER CHANGES ANNOUNCED FOR 2018 AHL ALL-STAR CLASSIC - AHL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.