Inter Miami CF's Inaugural Preseason Officially Kicks Off
Inter Miami began preseason preparations today for the first time in Club history with a historic training session. The players, who passed their medical examinations over the weekend at Baptist Health, trained together alongside Head Coach Diego Alonso and the rest of their new coaching staff at Barry University.
After a series of warm-ups, the team jumped right into intense action with ball work, practicing passing and movement patterns with heavy tactical instruction from Alonso. The drills got players from every position involved, building through different phases with touches and passes available for defenders, midfielders and forwards alike.
Notably, during one of these drills 19-year-old forward JuliÃ¡n Carranza curled a first-time left-footed strike into the top-left corner of the net, leaving the keeper no chance to make a save.
Similar patterns saw notable touches for MatÃas Pellegrini, Lee Nguyen and Juan Agudelo, among others.
"I'm very very excited," said Pellegrini. "It's the first day in this great club. I've been waiting for this moment for a while and we can't wait to get started."
Luis Robles and the other goalkeepers rotated, denying shots at the end of several passing moves. In addition to participating in the team drills, goalkeepers did extra work in a separate area, practicing both shot stopping and passing technique.
"It's almost like the first day of school," said Robles. "I think everyone is really excited to be on the field."
Following the completion of these drills the players wound down with more stretching and a subsequent team talk, marking the end of the first training session in the history of Club Internacional de FÃºtbol Miami.
The team will continue to train at Barry University throughout the week before embarking on a trip around Florida. Inter Miami will travel to Port Saint Lucie and Bradenton where it will train from January 25 to February 6. The team will then train at the Inter Miami CF Training Complex in Fort Lauderdale for the first time beginning on February 7 before hitting the road again on February 14. Subsequently, the team will travel to St. Petersburg where it will play open friendly matches against the Philadelphia Union and the Tampa Bay Rowdies.
Inter Miami will officially kick off Major League Soccer action and make its worldwide debut on March 1 with a road match against reigning Supporters' Shield champions LAFC.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from January 20, 2020
- Inter Miami CF's Inaugural Preseason Officially Kicks Off - Inter Miami CF
- Real Salt Lake Announces Additions to Coaching and Technical Staffs - Real Salt Lake
- Chicago Fire FC Acquires Goalkeeper Connor Sparrow - Chicago Fire
- Minnesota United Hires Assistant Coach Sean McAuley - Minnesota United FC
- Houston Dynamo Academy Hosts Free Clinics Featuring World-Renowned Trainer Tom Byer - Houston Dynamo
- Samba Camara's Contract Voided - New England Revolution
- Junior Moreno and Ulises Segura Obtain Green Cards - D.C. United
- FC Cincinnati Acquire Goalkeeper Bobby Edwards - FC Cincinnati
- Real Salt Lake Retains Kyle Beckerman for 2020 Season - Real Salt Lake
- Pre-Sale Now Available for Nashville SC 2020 Single Game Tickets - Nashville SC
- Philadelphia Union Sign Midfielder Matej Oravec - Philadelphia Union
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Inter Miami CF Stories
- Inter Miami CF, Mourning Family Foundation and Captain Morgan Launch Meal Distribution Event in Overtown
- Pizarro Defeats Sporting Kansas City's Pulido in Inter Miami's Fourth eFriendly
- Director of Player Development Darren Powell Provides Updates on Inter Miami CF Academy
- Ben Sweat: Inter Miami "Getting a Lot of Positivity and Good EnergyÃ¢ÂÂ
- Challenge Accepted: MLS Standouts Pizarro, Pulido in Next Inter Miami CF eFriendly vs. Sporting Kansas City