Inter Miami CF to Host the New York Red Bulls on FridayÃÂ
Inter Miami CF (9W-5D-9L, 32 points) will return to DRV PNK Stadium to take on the New York Red Bulls (6W-5D-11L, 23 points) on Friday, Sept. 17 at 7 p.m. ET.
Where to Watch
The match will be broadcast nationally on FOX Deportes and FS1. Fans worldwide can follow live updates including video highlights and stats on the Club's App. Download and Register your Profile here: https://www.intermiamicf.com/en/club/app.
Kick Childhood Cancer Night presented by Baptist Health South Florida
Inter Miami will host the New York Red Bulls in the Club's Kick Childhood Cancer Night presented by Baptist Health. The match will feature:
A commemorative Kick Childhood Cancer edition MLS adidas Nativo 21 Official Match Ball used in match play
Kick Childhood Cancer adidas Pre-Match Jerseys will be worn by players during pregame and warmups on game day as well as on the bench, side lines and during training and in community outreach efforts
Gold corner flags
Gold goal nets
Gold captain's armbands
Gold ribbon jersey patches
PRO referees will sport wristbands featuring a Kick Childhood Cancer ribbon
Content to raise funds and awareness
Additionally, Inter Miami CF was able to fulfill a final wish for 15-year-old Inter Miami fan, Patricio Ojeda. Patricio was diagnosed with neuroblastoma and after a two-year battle, was given a short time to live. As a passionate fútbol and Inter Miami fan, Patricio's final wish was to come to the DRV PNK Stadium and meet the Inter Miami players. Inter Miami was able to give Patricio and his family a day they would never forget. On July 9, 2021, Club signed Patricio as an official player for the day, with his jersey waiting for him in the locker room alongside his favorite players' lockers - Gonzalo Higuaín and Blaise Matuidi. As he was too unwell to attend a game, an intrasquad scrimmage was organized in his honor and Patricio was made captain for the day. The players treated him as a member of the squad as he sat alongside Phil Neville on the team bench for the game. Inter Miami staff and players raised funds for Patricio's family who was struggling with the financial burden of their son's illness. Sadly, Patricio lost his battle on July 31, 2021.
A commemorative framed jersey of Patricio Ojeda, will be placed at DRV PNK Stadium to ensure he will always be a part of the Club. The framed jersey will be presented by the team at DRV PNK Stadium during pregame and the full story will be shown on the Club's channels and in the stadium on matchday. This year's Kick Childhood Cancer efforts are dedicated to Patricio.
Inter Miami to Debut XBTO Branded Jerseys Against the New York Red Bulls
Inter Miami CF hosted a special event on Wednesday, Sept. 15 at the NW Club at DRV PNK Stadium to unveil XBTO, a prominent, global cryptofinance firm, as the first-ever Primary Jersey Sponsor for South Florida's Major League Soccer (MLS) Club. The deal between Inter Miami and XBTO marks the first cryptofinance partnership in MLS. On Friday, Inter Miami will don its XBTO branded jerseys for the first time.
Inter Miami will return to DRV PNK Stadium to face the New York Red Bulls for the first time this season after defeating Toronto FC on the road in its last match. Goalkeeper Nick Marsman earned Heineken Man of the Match honors after his stellar performance in the 0-1 victory against Toronto FC, in which he recorded four saves and helped Inter Miami maintain its fourth consecutive clean sheet.
Inter Miami was previously scheduled to face the Red Bulls in July, however, the match-up was postponed to Oct. 9 due to extreme weather conditions. The Friday match-up will be the second game this week for the Herons. Inter Miami is coming off of a win against Toronto FC on the road that has extended its unbeaten streak to six. The Inter Miami squad has not allowed a goal in the month of September, with the team earning four clean sheets in a row, drawing 0-0 on the road against Orlando City, defeating FC Cincinnati 0-1 at TQL Stadium, winning 1-0 at home against the Columbus Crew, and most recently a 0-1 victory on the road against Toronto FC. Additionally, the team has only suffered one loss during the months of August and September.
MLS Team of the Week Honors for Christian Makoun
Christian Makoun was named to the MLS Team of the Week presented by Audi for Week 25 after scoring the winning goal from a penalty kick in stoppage time against Toronto FC on Sept. 14. It was the first time in the 2021 regular season that the Venezuelan was named to the MLS Team of the Week.
The fixture against the Red Bulls could feature reunions between former teammates or rivals for players of both sides. Defender Christian Makoun and New York Red Bulls forward Cristhian Cásseres Jr. have played a total of 1,579 minutes with each other across three different teams. The former teammates played eight matches between 2016 and 2017 for Venezuela's U-17's and 12 matches between 2018 and 2019 for the Venezuela U-20 team. Most recently, Makoun and Cásseres Jr. played in one match with each other for the Venezuela U-23 team in 2019. They also played against each other at one point in their fútbol careers, in a 2017 Venezuelan Torneo Apertura matchup.
Furthermore, the matchup could also feature reunions between former rivals Inter Miami forward Robbie Robinson and midfielder Omir Fernandez, who played against each other in 2018 as sophomores in college when Robinson played for Clemson and Fernandez played for Wake Forest; both teams are part of the Atlantic Coast Conference (ACC).
Lastly, New York Red Bulls defender Andrés Reyes may face his former teammates after playing for Inter Miami in the Club's inaugural campaign in 2020.
New York Red Bulls' Record in 2021
The New York Red Bulls are coming off of a midweek 2-1 loss against the Columbus Crew. In the month of August, they recorded one win, three losses, and one draw. Thus far in the month of September, they earned a 1-1 draw against D.C. United and lost against Columbus. In the 2021 regular season, the Red Bulls have recorded six wins, five draws and 11 losses for a total of 23 points and are currently ranked 11th in the Eastern Conference.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 16, 2021
- Inter Miami CF to Host the New York Red Bulls on FridayÃÂ - Inter Miami CF
- Red Bulls Face off against Inter Miami CF for First Time this Season - New York Red Bulls
- Inter Miami CF Announces Kick Childhood Cancer Initiatives - Inter Miami CF
- D.C. United Forward Ola Kamara Voted MLS Player of the Week for Week 25 - MLS
- New England Revolution Academy Highlights: September 16, 2021 - New England Revolution
- MLS vs. LIGA MX Leagues Cup Final Set: Seattle Sounders FC Will Face Club León September 22 at Allegiant Stadium in Las Vegas - MLS
- Houston Dynamo FC Goalkeeper Michael Nelson Named to MLSSoccer.com Team of the Week - Houston Dynamo FC
- Earthquakes Midfielder Chofis Named to MLS Team of the Week - San Jose Earthquakes
- Christian Makoun Named to MLS Week 25 Team of the Week - Inter Miami CF
- FC Dallas Winger Jáder Obrian Named to MLSsoccer.com's Week 25 Team of the Week - FC Dallas
- Los Angeles Releases Official Campaign Video in Bid to Host FIFA World Cup 2026™ - LA Galaxy
- Justin Morrow Announces Retirement - Toronto FC
- Minnesota United Signs New Contract for Defender Chase Gasper - Minnesota United FC
- The Carolina Lightnin', Charlotte's First Pro Soccer Team, Celebrates Its 40th Anniversary - Charlotte FC
- Inter Miami CF Hosts Special Event to Unveil Leading Crypto Finance Firm XBTO as Its Primary Jersey SponsorÃÂ - Inter Miami CF
- LA Galaxy Fight Back to Earn 1-1 Draw at Home against Houston Dynamo FC at Dignity Health Sports Park on Wednesday Night - LA Galaxy
- Rapids Draw Portland 2-2 in Back-And-Forth Contest - Colorado Rapids
- Quakes midfielder Chofis scores hat-trick in loss - San Jose Earthquakes
- Ten-Man Timbers Battle Back to Gain 2-2 Draw against Colorado Rapids - Portland Timbers
- Real Salt Lake Earns Dramatic Come-From-Behind Victory over San Jose Earthquakes - Real Salt Lake
- First-Place Sporting KC Hammers Minnesota - Sporting Kansas City
- LAFC Wins Third Straight with 2-1 Win over Austin - Los Angeles FC
- Austin FC Falls 2-1 to Los Angeles FC - Austin FC
- CF Montréal Scores Four to Top Orlando City SC - Club de Foot Montreal
- D.C. United Win 3-0 against Chicago Fire FC at Audi Field - D.C. United
- Philadelphia Union Falls to Club America - Philadelphia Union
- MNUFC Lose 4-0 in Kansas City - Minnesota United FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.