Inside-The-Park Home Run Pushes Rocks to Victory
Wilmington, DE - Strong pitching and a bloop, inside-the-park home run helped the Wilmington Blue Rocks (17-22) earn a 3-1 rubber match victory over the Myrtle Beach Pelicans (16-24) Thursday night at Frawley Stadium. Blue Rocks' starter Ofreidy Gomez tossed five solid innings and allowed just one run. Nick Heath picked up three hits, including a go-ahead, two-run, inside-the-park home run in the eighth inning to help earn Wilmington close the brief three-game homestand victorious.
Wilmington broke a 1-1 tie in odd fashion in the bottom of the eighth inning. Chris DeVito led the inning with a single and Heath hit a blooper down the left field line that landed in between the Pelicans' shortstop Aramis Ademan and left fielder Kevonte Mitchel who both collided. DeVito scored from first and Heath raced around the bases for an inside-the-park home run. The Blue Rocks manufactured a run with two outs in the third inning. Heath reached on an infield single, stole second base and scored on D.J. Burt's RBI double down the right field line to give Wilmington a 1-0 lead. In the fifth, Myrtle Beach knotted the game up on an RBI double from Connor Myers to make it 1-1.
Wilmington begins a seven-game road with a three-game series against the Salem Red Sox starting Friday, May 18. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. with righty Gerson Garabito (1-2, 2.34 ERA) starting for Wilmington while fellow right-hander Jake Thompson (1-2, 5.14 ERA) starts for Salem. Fans can listen to the game as Matt Janus and Cory Nidoh have the call on 89.7 WGLS-FM.
PEBBLES OF KNOWLEDGE:
The inside-the-park home run for Nick Heath was his first home run of the season and the first inside-the-park home run for a Blue Rock since Ryan O'Hearn hit two in the 2016 season. O'Hearn hit one on April 15 at Potomac, which was also a two-run variety and followed with his second just six days later on a three-run, inside-the-park home run at Frederick.
• Discuss this story on the Carolina League message board...
Carolina League Stories from May 17, 2018
- Myrtle Beach Nipped 3-1 in Rubber Match - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Inside-The-Park Home Run Pushes Rocks to Victory - Wilmington Blue Rocks
- Winning Streak Ends at Six as Lynchburg Drops Rain-Soaked Game - Lynchburg Hillcats
- Thursday's Game at Buies Creek Postponed - Winston-Salem Dash
- Wells Earns First Carolina League Win - Frederick Keys
- Two Wood Ducks Earn Rangers' Recognition for April Performances - Down East Wood Ducks
- May 17 - Carolina Mudcats Game Information - Carolina Mudcats
- P-Nats Set to Host Scavenger Hunt Night on Thursday, May 24th - Potomac Nationals
- Sox, P-Nats Swept by Rain - Salem Red Sox
- Myrtle Beach Pelicans: Game Notes, May 17 at Wilmington - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Cubs Alumni Fergie Jenkins, Lee Smith Visit Pelicans for Cubs-A-Palooza - Myrtle Beach Pelicans
- Potomac and Salem Washed out on Thursday - Potomac Nationals
- NBC Sports Chicago to Televise Seven Dash Games - Winston-Salem Dash
- Homestand Preview - Potomac Nationals
- Pitching Staff Shines Again in Series-Clincher - Down East Wood Ducks
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wilmington Blue Rocks Stories
- Blue Rocks Win Carolina League's Matt Minker Award for Community Service
- Royals, Blue Rocks Agree on Two-Year PDC Extension
- Blue Rocks Rally Falls Short in Season Finale
- Blue Rocks Split Another Doubleheader with P-Nats
- Blue Rocks Split Doubleheader with P-Nats