Injury sidelines JosÃ© Mari for up to a month
Colorado Rapids midfielder JosÃ© Mari is set to miss as many as four MLS games after suffering a left ankle sprain in training on Friday.
The 26-year-old, who arrived this year having been at Spanish side Real Zaragoza, was forced to leave the practice session early and then subsequently missed the 2-0 home win over the Vancouver Whitecaps.
JosÃ© Mari, who has scored three goals in ten appearances this season, was replaced in the center of midfield by rookie Jared Watts.
"Initially it looked like a minor thing," Head Athletic Trainer, Jaime Rojas told ColoradoRapids.com. "But by the next day (Saturday) it had ballooned up and there was a lot of discoloration, so we were a little bit concerned that it may be more of a long-term thing but he came in today really ready to go on rehab exercises.
"I'm very confident that the next couple of weeks he's back on the field. I don't know exactly. You can't predict it but we are pretty optimistic, instead of being pessimistic."
The Rapids are next in action this Friday, July 4, when Columbus Crew visit Dick's Sporting Goods Park, kick-off 7.30 p.m.
â€¢ Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 30, 2014
- Omar Gonzalez Expects a Tough Test against Belgium - LA Galaxy
- Injury sidelines JosÃ© Mari for up to a month - Colorado Rapids
- Rapids and Commerce City to Hold 19th Annual 4thFest on Friday - Colorado Rapids
- Earthquakes Weekly Update - San Jose Earthquakes
- Earthquakes Announce Partnership for Made-In-America Solar Energy Program - San Jose Earthquakes
- Real Salt Lake Update - Real Salt Lake
- Vicente SÃ¡nchez, the Wizard with Us - Colorado Rapids
- Timbers Development Update - Portland Timbers
- Sporting Kansas City Releases Alex Martinez - Sporting Kansas City
- Fans Invited to Join Sounders FC Players and Coaches for World Cup Viewing Party Tuesday - Seattle Sounders FC
- Red Bulls Update: New York Heads to Houston Friday - New York Red Bulls
- U.S. Look to Advance to First Quarterfinal Since 2002 - this Week in MLS - MLS
- LA Galaxy Kick off a Three-Game Home Stand against Portland - LA Galaxy
- Crew and Columbus Commons Team-Up for Viewing Party - Columbus Crew SC
- Fewer Than 500 Tickets Remain for July 5 Match vs. Seattle Sounders FC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Chicago Fire Return to MLS Action, Begin Eight-Match Stretch in Month of July - Chicago Fire FC
- Montreal Impact Forward Jack McInerney Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Impact Striker Jack McInerney Named MLS Player of the Week - Club de Foot Montreal
- Chicago Fire Waive Giuseppe Gentile - Chicago Fire FC
- Real Salt Lake, Salt Lake City Mayor's Office, Broadway Media Group to Host Watch Party - Real Salt Lake
- LA Galaxy to Host World Cup Viewing Party - LA Galaxy
- Major League Soccer Names Seth Bacon Senior Vice President, Media - MLS
- Gehrig Pleased to See Both Germany, USA Advance - Columbus Crew SC
- McInerney Scores a Brace as Impact Shuts out Houston 3-0 at Stade Saputo - Club de Foot Montreal
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- Colorado Hosts Toronto FC in Robin Fraser's 50th Match as Rapids Head Coach
- Keys against Toronto: Pressure and Pass to Success
- Set Piece King Jack Price Named to MLS Team of the Week Bench
- Rapids Begin Three-Game Homestand on Sunday vs. Vancouver
- Keys against Vancouver: Score Twice (Or More), Slow Ryan Gauld