Inability to Convert Chances Costs Crew in Reserve League Tilt
Black & Gold goalkeeper Matt Lampson hailed his side's "fantastic performance" but cited a need to capitalize on scoring chances in order to pick up results. Despite creating the majority of the chances, the Crew reserve team fell to Montreal 1-0 at the Obetz Training Facility on Sunday. Said Lampson, "I think we controlled pretty much the entire game. They had maybe one good chance in the first half and even a half chance in the second that they put away. It was a fluke goal. But I thought we played much better."
Columbus forced the Impact's goalkeeper, Evan Bush, to make a number of saves in the first half to keep the game 0-0. Bush's most important save, however, came when he stopped Tony Tchani's penalty in the 81st minute following a foul on Justin Meram in the box. Montreal then scored in the 87th minute when Mircea Ilcu got behind the defense following a long ball from the back.
Following the 4-4 draw against the Dayton Dutch Lions on June 8, Lampson credited the defensive effort of the team but emphasized the need to take the chances they created.
"I thought our spacing was much better, especially in the first half, in this game. And we stayed very compact and didn't get picked apart like at times in the Dayton match. I thought overall the performance was fantastic we just have to put the ball in the back of the net. That's the bottom line."
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from June 16, 2013
- Chivas USA Fall 1-0 to Chivas Guadalajara in Friendly - Club Deportivo Chivas USA
- Inability to Convert Chances Costs Crew in Reserve League Tilt - Columbus Crew SC
- MLS Reserve League Match 7: Crew Falls to Montreal 1-0 - Columbus Crew SC
- Heaps: "It Would be a Mistake for Us not to Learn from this Game" - New England Revolution
- LA Galaxy Squad of 1996 Serves as the Inspiration for New Third Kit - Los Angeles Galaxy
- LA Galaxy Play to 1-1 Reserve League Draw with the L.A. Blues - Los Angeles Galaxy
- Whitecaps FC defeat Revolution - New England Revolution
- Kenny Miller scores a pair in Whitecaps FC win - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- TIMBERS U-23s RALLY FOR 2-2 COMEBACK DRAW AT KITSAP - Portland Timbers
- San Jose Earthquakes Pick up Road Win against Colorado Rapids, 2-1 - San Jose Earthquakes
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Columbus Crew SC Stories
- Columbus Crew SC Travels to Talen Energy Stadium to Take on the Philadelphia Union Today
- Columbus Crew SC Defender Alex Crognale Set to Go on Loan to United Soccer League Side Orange County SC
- Columbus Crew SC Hosts the Montreal Impact Tomorrow for Crew SC's Home Opening Match
- Columbus Crew SC Rookie Goalkeeper Ben Lundgaard Joins USL Side Indy Eleven on Loan
- Graham "Skamzz" Ellix to Represent Columbus Crew SC at Inaugural eMLS Cup this April at PAX East in Boston