In Their Own Words: "I Trust the Players. I Trust the Quality We Have.Ã¢ÂÂ
Before the boys in Old Glory Red head north to take on Timbers 2 this Saturday, see what the squad had to say prior to playing the Pacific Northwest club
The first of four regular season showdowns between Republic FC and Portland Timbers 2 is set to take place on Saturday night at 7 p.m. PT.
When both Group A clubs clash at Providence Park, it will mark the twelfth time SRFC and T2 have tangled and the team that's scored first has earned victory in the last ten straight meetings.
But before both sides square up this weekend in Portland, it's time to check out what the squad had on their minds prior to the trip to the Pacific Northwest.
Head Coach Mark Briggs
On converting scoring opportunities ...
"It would be a bigger concern to me if we weren't creating opportunities. But I think if you look at every game, we've created four, five, six, in some games double digit opportunities that we just haven't taken. I trust the players; I trust the quality we have, and I trust that we will start to connect with opportunities and start putting the ball in the back of the net.
"It's something that we need to grind through right now. It's something that we need to work through and keep working at it and keep getting in those positions and keep getting the repetition in training."
On what the boss wants to see from his side this weekend against Portland Timbers 2...
"I want to see that same intensity, that same aggression. But now I want to see a little more quality. I want to see our decision making a little bit better. We didn't retain possession enough after we won possession [against San Diego]. We didn't connect that first pass and then move it around and then switch the field, so I want to see us a little more composed. With the same intensity and aggression off the ball, but when get the ball, we need to keep it and move it and be more clinical in front of goal."
On Saturday's result in San Diego...
"We were happy with the shutout, happy with the defensive performance. We wanted to get the win; we want to create more chances heading into this weekend but overall it was a good mentality approaching the game. We were ready for it, we were excited, we brought intensity and discipline and we need to carry that into this weekend."
On Hayden Sargis' performances this season having played the full 90 minutes each match...
"It's awesome. He's an incredible person, an incredible player, a great professional, he shows maturity beyond his years. He's 18-years-old but his voice back there is commanding. He puts in hard tackles, his distribution out of the back is fantastic, so he's done very well."
On expectations going into Saturday...
"This game specifically I think we're going to come out with a fiery attitude. I think we kind of got that down in San Diego. First, change the attitude and next the goals will come. And so I think everyone's on the same page, everyone's feeling confident and I don't think we're worried about the attitude everyone's going to have. Hopefully we can come together and succeed and get three points.
"I think we're just eager to get there and play again. I think we had a good weekend last weekend in San Diego and I think we want to take that next step here in Portland."
On playing in Portland...
"Just with the turf field, I think we haven't seen that this year and so getting up there today to see the training facilities and get used to it a little bit. I think you you don't want to focus on your opponent, you want to figure out what you can do to to win the game. I think that's what we'll do."
On positives to build on from last week...
I think that [the San Diego] game was a grind for us, not every game is going to be pretty but that's an away trip, against a good team. And we came out with this high, we kept them out of the goal. So I think that's something to build upon and just start finishing off and start picking up these points.
On preparing for a busy week ahead...
Just like any other week, really, just how we've seen three games in a week or whatever it is, whoever's coming up, we're gonna prepare the same way as we always would. Going into it focusing on us, focusing on our shape, focusing on our discipline, trying to figure out what it takes to hit that next level and consistently, pick up points.
• Discuss this story on the United Soccer League Championship message board...
United Soccer League Championship Stories from August 7, 2020
- Austin Bold FC Add Local Youth Goalkeepers to 2020 USL Championship Roster - Austin Bold FC
- Preview: Austin Bold FC V Rio Grande Valley FC - Austin Bold FC
- Charlotte Independence v Charleston Battery: Match Preview - Charlotte Independence
- Miami FC Suffer 3-0 Defeat at Home against Tampa Bay - Miami FC
- In Their Own Words: "I Trust the Players. I Trust the Quality We Have.Ã¢ÂÂ - Sacramento Republic FC
- Game Notes: Tacoma Defiance at Reno 1868 FC - August 8 - Tacoma Defiance
- PRFC Game Notes - Phoenix Rising FC
- Match Preview: Legion FC vs. Atlanta United 2 - Saturday, August 8 - Birmingham Legion FC
- Lights FC Matches to Air on Cox Communications' YurView Television - Las Vegas Lights FC
- Preview: FC Tulsa Attempts to Extend Best-Ever Start in Franchise History - FC Tulsa
- Preview: RGV FC Head to the Capital City for a Showdown with Austin - Rio Grande Valley FC Toros
- Orange County SC Rescheduled LA Galaxy II Game DateÃÂ announced - Orange County SC
- New Mexico United Relocates Another Home Match, Adds Local Broadcast - New Mexico United
- Boards for Change Auction Features 20 New Items - Sacramento Republic FC
- Match Preview: ATL UTD 2 vs Birmingham Legion FC - Atlanta United 2
- Marios Lomis Returns to North Carolina FC - North Carolina FC
- Preview: What to Watch for with Loucity vs. Indy Eleven - Louisville City FC
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Sacramento Republic FC Stories
- Old Glory Red and Beyond: Evolution of SRFC's Kits
- Five Finalists Selected by Fans for Latinx Edition of Republic FC Kickstart
- Returning for 2021: Penagos Primed for Solid Second Season
- Returning for 2021: Jauregui Proving the Future Is Now for SRFC
- Kharlton Belmar Set to Return to Republic FC in 2021