Impact Comes to Terms with Bacary Sagna on One-Year Contract
MONTREAL - The Montreal Impact announced on Monday that it had come to terms on a one-year deal with French right-back Bacary Sagna. The former Arsenal and Manchester City player will therefore be back in Montreal in 2019.
"I am very satisfied that Bacary carries on with the club," said Impact head coach Rémi Garde. "He played a big role in our good second half to the season in 2018 and I am sure he will once again be an important part of the Impact in 2019."
"I'm very happy to be back with the Impact for one more year," said Bacary Sagna. "I hope we have a good season and make it all the way."
In nine games with the Impact in 2018, all starts, Sagna accumulated 810 minutes of play. With him on the field, the team managed a record of five wins, three losses and one draw, conceding just 12 goals. He also scored a goal in September against the New York Red Bulls.
Sagna played 10 seasons in the Premier League, from 2007 to 2017, taking part in 267 games with Arsenal and Manchester City. He notably scored four goals and added 19 assists, contributing to 95 clean sheets for his teams. He was named to the Professional Footballers' Association's Team of the Year in 2007-08 and 2010-11 and won one FA Cup and one League Cup.
On the international scene, Sagna represented the French national team 65 times, taking part in two editions of the FIFA World Cup, in 2010 and 2014, and in Euro 2016, during which he played every minute of the European tournament, including the final against Portugal. He made his debut with the senior team on August 22, 2007, against Slovakia. His last appearance was on October 7, 2016, for a World Cup qualifying game against Bulgaria. He also played for France in his youth.
TRANSACTION: The Montreal Impact comes to terms on a one-year deal with French right-back Bacary Sagna.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from December 24, 2018
- Dynamo Sign DF Aljaz Struna on Full Transfer from Palermo - Houston Dynamo
- Impact Comes to Terms with Bacary Sagna on One-Year Contract - Montreal Impact
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Montreal Impact Stories
- Impact Takes on Philadelphia Union Saturday Afternoon at Al Lang Stadium
- Impact to Visit Schools in 14th Edition of All the Way with the Impact Program
- Montreal Impact Soccer Schools Announce Summer 2019 Programming
- Defender Daniel Kinumbe Loaned to Ottawa Fury FC
- Impact Acquires Nigerian Striker Orji Okwonkwo on Loan