IceHogs Edge Wolves in Central Division Semis Game 1
ROSEMONT, Ill. - The Rockford IceHogs edged the Chicago Wolves 2-1 in Game 1 of the Central Division Semifinals on Saturday night at Allstate Arena. The best-of-five series continues Sunday with Game 2 in Rockford.
The Wolves entered the first round of the Calder Cup Playoffs as the division's top seed and owner of the home-ice advantage, but the IceHogs took it away by scoring two power-play goals in the opening 23 minutes and then holding on.
"I really think we played poorly tonight," said Wolves head coach Rocky Thompson. "I think we got outplayed tonight, which is rare for us. It's not something we're used to. At the end of the day, some guys I'm sure are extremely disappointed in their performance in such an important game."
Rockford (1-0) opened scoring at 9:42 of the first frame as Tyler Sikura chipped in a power-play marker from the side of the goal mouth.
Just 2:05 into the second period, Adam Clendening added another power-play goal to give the IceHogs a 2-0 lead.
The Wolves (0-1) found some life in the third period. Defenseman Zac Leslie leaned into a shot at the right point and Pulkkinen - in a net-front crowd - whacked the rebound out of midair past Collin Delia (1-0) to cut Rockford's lead 2-1.
Oscar Dansk (0-1) made 27 saves in his Calder Cup Playoff debut while Delia stopped 31 shots.
The series moves to Rockford - following a 1-1-1-1-1 format - on Sunday. Puck drop is 4 p.m., and the game will stream on AHL Live. For complete postseason coverage of the Wolves, visit ChicagoWolves.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from April 21, 2018
- IceHogs Edge Wolves in Central Division Semis Game 1 - Chicago Wolves
- Crunch Hold off Amerks for 6-5 Win in Game 2 - Rochester Americans
- Bruins Bounce Back to Even Playoff Series - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Cehlarik Lifts Providence to Game Two Win - Providence Bruins
- Didier's Late Winner Lifts Checkers to 2-0 Series Lead - Charlotte Checkers
- Penguins Score Early, But Lose Game Two at Charlotte, 4-1 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Moose Wins Game One Late - Manitoba Moose
- Gritty Goaltending Duel Ends in Overtime Loss - Utica Comets
- Moose Score Late to Take Game 1 - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Looking At: Round 1, Game 2 - Tucson Roadrunners
- Griffins' Playoff Promotions in Full Effect against Moose - Grand Rapids Griffins
- NBC's "The Voice" Competitor Gary Carpentier to Sing National Anthem April 21 - Syracuse Crunch
- Marlies and Comets Kick off North Division Semifinals - Toronto Marlies
- Reign Post Five Goals, Even Series with Stars - Ontario Reign
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.