IceDogs Pick up a Big 2 Points in Home Shootout Win against Barrie
The Niagara IceDogs kicked off their 3 in 3 weekend at the Meridian Centre with the Barrie Colts as their opponent. These two young teams will be seeing a lot of each other in the next two months, but currently the season series is tied up at 1.
The Barrie Colts struck first to take the lead in the first minute of the game. The young IceDogs stuck to their game plan and ended up getting 12 shots on net from 10 different players in the first period. Goaltender Sbaraglia made a massive save with five minutes remaining in the period to keep the game within one. Rookie Lucas Theriault was 3 for 4 in the face-off dot.
The second period was all IceDogs, with two goals being scored to take the lead. Ivan Lodnia scored the game tying goal off a feed from fellow winger Oliver Castleman. The assist extended Castleman's point streak to 15 games in which he has 9 goals and 15 assists. The scoring continued with Cameron Butler's first as an IceDog. Recently acquired Cameron Peters picked up his first point by assisting the go ahead goal in his home debut. To end the middle frame, goaltender Sbaraglia made a highlight reel save sliding across his crease to keep out a 2 on 1 chance.
The Colts got two power play markers in the third to take the lead back with a score of 3-2. In the dying minutes of the game, Castleman tied the game back up at 3 with the IceDogs own power play goal.
The IceDogs take this one in the shootout with Sbaraglia stopping all three shots and Lodnia beating the Barrie goaltender blocker side!
Nathan Allensen (Brown & Clarke) (BAR) :33
Ivan Lodnia (Castleman & Betts) (NIA) 6:07 Cameron Butler (Peters) (NIA) 16:35
Ethan Cardwell (Frasca & Clarke) (BAR) 5:21 PP Evan Vierling (Allensen & Foerster) (BAR) 17:00 Oliver Castleman (Butler & Lodnia) (NIA) 18:44 PP
Barrie Colts :
Tyson Foerster : No goal
Evan Vierling : No goal
Niagara IceDogs :
Cam Butler : No goal
Ivan Lodnia : Goal
• Discuss this story on the Ontario Hockey League message board...
Ontario Hockey League Stories from January 17, 2020
- Rangers Ambush Battalion - North Bay Battalion
- Erie Stings Sarnia 4-3 for Third Straight Victory - Erie Otters
- Firebirds Drop Shootout, Earn Point against Top-Ranked Ottawa Friday - Flint Firebirds
- Suzuki's Four-Point Night Leads Spirit to 5-2 Victory - Saginaw Spirit
- Steelheads Wagon Barrels Through Oshawa - Mississauga Steelheads
- Guzda Shuts Down Storm in 4-1 Victory - Owen Sound Attack
- Gens Strong Finish Not Enough to Best Sauga in Close Game - Oshawa Generals
- 67's Defeat Flint 5-4 in An Entertaining Shootout Contest - Ottawa 67's
- IceDogs Pick up a Big 2 Points in Home Shootout Win against Barrie - Niagara IceDogs
- Colts Earn Point on the Road in Shootout Loss to IceDogs - Barrie Colts
- Rangers Drub the Battalion 9-2 - Kitchener Rangers
- Tonight's Game against the Hamilton Bulldogs Postponed - Kingston Frontenacs
- OHL Announces Postponed Game Between Kingston and Hamilton - OHL
- Foerster, Zary Power Team White to Victory at Kubota CHL/NHL Top Prospects Game - OHL
- Mississauga Steelheads Come to Take on Generals at 7:35pm Tonight - Oshawa Generals
- Game Day Preview: Spirit, Greyhounds Open Home-And-Home Series Friday - Saginaw Spirit
- Dylan Myskiw Suspended - London Knights
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.