Ice Bears Shut out at Home
Knoxville, TN Mike DeLaVergne stopped all 28 shots he faced and the Huntsville Havoc defeated the Knoxville Ice Bears 3-0 on Saturday at the Civic Coliseum.
The Ice Bears remain in fourth place in the SPHL standings, eight points behind Huntsville. Fayetteville sits in fifth trailing Knoxville by three points. Knoxville has a game in hand over the Marksmen.
Huntsville took the initial momentum into the second intermission after Christian Powers redirected a shot from the left point past Michael Santaguida at 17:57. John Schiavo fired the puck into traffic and Powers got a piece of it for the power play goal.
Stephen Hrehoriak extended the lead at 7:41 of the third after a wraparound try was stopped by Santaguida and deflected out to him on the left side of the crease. Hrehoriak lifted a backhand over the Knoxville goalie for his 11th goal of the season.
Peter Sikalis added an empty net goal with just over a minute remaining to close out the scoring. Santaguida finished with 24 saves.
The two teams will play again Sunday afternoon at 3:30 at the Civic Coliseum. Family 4 Packs for only $44 include 4 silver level tickets. To purchase tickets visit www.ticketmaster.com.
• Discuss this story on the Southern Professional Hockey League message board...
Southern Professional Hockey League Stories from March 24, 2019
- Knoxville Drills the Havoc 4-1 - Huntsville Havoc
- Ice Bears Split Series with Havoc in 4-1 Win - Knoxville Ice Bears
- Bad Bounces Down Marksmen 5-3 in Roanoke - Fayetteville Marksmen
- Ice Bears Shut out at Home - Knoxville Ice Bears
- Havoc Earn Gritty Shutout against Ice Bears - Huntsville Havoc
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.